Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a new headlight wiring harness. Made sure to note all connections when I removed the old harness. New harness went in pretty easily. All lights and blinkers work good. I noticed with the ignition off and no lights on that the horn relay was "warm". Definitely not hot slightly warm. Horn does not blow either? Everything worked before just wanted to update a 50+ wiring harness. Can anyone out there help me?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
you sure you didn't reverse any of the wires to relay?

I did this once and result was relay got hot & horn didn't work

assuming the wires are same color as original harness the green wire goes towards firewall and the black towards core support on the horn relay. My primary red (large) one goes towards DS fender and the other one goes towards motor

The above with horn relay mounted to core support

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mitch, If this was right after your testing I would think it is normal. Test the horn relay for draw
with a multi-meter. You could have a bad horn relay or possibly a bad horn button contact considering
the horns don't work.
I bought a new relay and installed it. I think my next is to check the horn wiring in the steering wheel. The horn relay is warm and I test the leads that plug into the horns and they're pulling 11 volts. Strange thing they are not blowing? And they don't blow/sound when I hit the horn button?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you sure you didn't reverse any of the wires to relay?

I did this once and result was relay got hot & horn didn't work

assuming the wires are same color as original harness the green wire goes towards firewall and the black towards core support on the horn relay. My primary red (large) one goes towards DS fender and the other one goes towards motor

The above with horn relay mounted to core support
Both the Red and Black(fused) I don't think matters since they are connected to the same buss. The green (goes to horns) and black (goes to horn button) should only plug in to each receptacle. My set up is not on the fire wall. The horn relay mounts to the front DS next to the radiator. The black wire closest to mounting panel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reversed the green and black. Relay does not heat up, power not leaking to horn leads. But no horn when I push the horn button.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
OP

Al's pic above is how mine is wired which I tried to explain but didn't have a pic :)

When I got my car the horn didn't work and I started by testing and disconnecting the wires going into relay and inadvertently connected the small green & black wires backwards which, like you, the relay got hot so I swapped them back, as in Al's pic, and no more hot relay

I assume now your wiring mirrors what is in Al's pic now.

IDK what the test procedure would be for the relay itself....to confirm your "new" relay is good.

assuming your horns did work before the relay swap, test the horns themselves before the horn button/wheel

"My" horn problem was the spring that connects the green (the spring that drops in the hole under horn ring) wire to the circular ring inside the steering wheel hub was missing but otherwise the horn, steering wheel (Grant) were installed correctly by PO. I took a spring from a ball point pen I had and it was a perfect fit. Horn works perfect no

·
Registered
15 Posts
So thankful for this image. I just got my old Camaro back after a 20+ year hiatus and looked down at the horn relay/ VR area to find a large knot of wires taped up together inside a home electrical wire nut............ SMFH. Anyway I couldn't even match the VR holes up to anything. I have some rewiring in my future. Looks like the VR mounts at an angle on the core.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for for the picture. That's how I have I have it wired now. Still no horn. Horns worked prior to me putting in new harness. Will test horns to make sure but I don't think their the problem. Will let y'all know when I get it fixed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem was i wasn't making contact with the wire that goes to the horn button. Fixed that and all is good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts