Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone offer a rebuild service for 69 horns,if not whats a fair price to pay for a pair of working horns. Thanks Dave

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
You may be able to buy a rebuild kit from Zip products. It is supposed to be a very difficult job. Try soaking in WD-40 before springing for a kit or new horns. They are date coded by the way if that makes any difference.

-Mark.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stingr69
Thanks for the info, I did a search and read that the Zip rebuild kits dont work real well. Something to do with getting the 2 halves back together tight enough. I really don't care about the date codes as long as their the same as 69 Camaro. I'll try the WD 40. Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey Stingr,What can you tell me about the WD-40 trick on the horns? My '69 horns are original and silent...would like to save them. Thanks,

[This message has been edited by ChuckD (edited 06-10-2002).]

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The WD-40 thing came from another car enthusiast I talked to a while back but I can't remember who. He said you can sometimes save them that way. I have a box full of old GM horns that need work. If I can get to them some day I will refurbish them. Originals are usualy shot by now.

-Mark.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I tried the rebuild kit from Zip for my two non-working horns. Once I got the first one apart you have to check the coil for continuity. Guess what, both horn coils were bad. So, I just bead blasted, reassembled, painted them and put them back on the car. I went to the local parts house and bought two new plastic replacement horns and mounted them in an inconspicuous location. I tapped into the horn wire and hooked up the new horns - they work great and I still have the appearance of stock horns.

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
drdave, that is an outstanding idea. Kind of like a hammer to the head. I threw away my originals and settled for thwe ugly plastic replacements. Why didn't I think of that?

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 6/10/02 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
222 Posts
Camaro Hi-Performance (Jerry MacNiesh) will restore them to perfection mechanically and cosmetically. Not cheap ($120/ea. I think) but I just sent mine off to him. I will let you know how they turn out but I expect them to be perfect from what I hear about his other restorations.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302 & M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, AM/FM, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

2002 SS: 35th Anniversary coupe, 6 spd, all GM options plus additional SLP options: 345 hp package, floor and rear hatch mats.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds kinda steep!

Let me know how they turn out.
Thanks Dave

[This message has been edited by Mr. C (edited 06-21-2002).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts