Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try or have the stainless hose cover kits? how do they look? are they any good?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Every one I've seen look like crap. :sad: There always stretched, twisted, and snagged. They never look good. Save your money and get a quality true braided hose. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, :) but I can't stand those cheesy sleeves.:eek:

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
oh, come on now. take the frayed, stained hose coverings with those oh-so-trick looking blue and red hose clamp covers and throw in some tall gold Moroso valve covers with the tall valve cover bolts, and it's like being stuck in a 70's/80's street machine timewarp.
it's no worse and no better than the neon blue vacuum hoses and wire looms under the hoods of all the "tunerz" out there.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I thought briflu about the hose covers, but dedcided they are yucky, ditto on the "clamp covers"
I used braided hose from Sceptre and compression fittings from Py-Thon. They look just like real braid, cause they are, but fit on the tube fittings for the heater hoses and fuel line. Cost was about $50 per hose.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
novaderrik said:
oh, come on now. take the frayed, stained hose coverings with those oh-so-trick looking blue and red hose clamp covers and throw in some tall gold Moroso valve covers with the tall valve cover bolts, and it's like being stuck in a 70's/80's street machine timewarp.
it's no worse and no better than the neon blue vacuum hoses and wire looms under the hoods of all the "tunerz" out there.
That's not saying much. Most of that tunner crap is for show :sad: , and it still looks bad.:eek:

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Oh come on, how do you really feel about bling?

I personally favor silicone hose. I just wish I could get it in Chevy Orange instead of Ford Blue (GoodYear lifetime premium silicone hose). The 9C1 Chevy Impala I have has a green color but I was told that that color is reserved for GM only, and I can't have any.

Larger Dave

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Larger Dave said:
Oh come on, how do you really feel about bling?

I personally favor silicone hose. I just wish I could get it in Chevy Orange instead of Ford Blue (GoodYear lifetime premium silicone hose). The 9C1 Chevy Impala I have has a green color but I was told that that color is reserved for GM only, and I can't have any.

Larger Dave
Actually I just ordered some braided hose and black AN fittings from Jeg's. I need to work a new filter and regulator between my pump and the carb. I still have plenty of hard line from the rest of the fuel system. The hard lines are cool and look clean, but I'm being lazy and finally giving in to peer pressure. Personally I prefer the no nonsense look of black Aeroquip AQP socketless hose with nickel ends. http://store.summitracing.com/largeimage.asp?part=AER-FCN0620
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=AER%2DFCE1532&N=115+4294924496+400274+4294839052&autoview=sku
Although most of my friends have been pushing me for years to put braided hose on.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
OK, I'll admit it... I have them on my '68.

I bought the kit from Summit... I think it was the Spectre brand. Anyway, these can look good if they are installed properly. When you do not install them properly, they get snagged and stretched and look like crap...

To install these to look good, the trick is to first stretch out the braiding to fit your hose PRIOR to trying to put it on the hose. I did this by using wooden dowels of various diameters and sanded the end round. Insert the dowel into the braid to get it stretched out without snags.

Then, take the hose you wish to cover with the braid... take some electrical tape and wrap it around the end of the hose (to soften any sharp edges). Gently and slowly slide on the braid.

Now, pull the braid just tight enough (lengthwise on hose) so that it fits snug, but not so tight that the hose is showing through the braid. Wrap the ends of the braid in electrical tape right at the end of the hose (so that the braid won't fray when you cut it). Cut the braid, slip on your hose clamp and you're done.

Yeah, they're cheap and kind of cheesy... but if you want to do it right, that is how you do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts