Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the hot cam kit in gm peformance 385/385. the stock cam just doesnt have the sound i'm looking for and all i am reading suggests the 385/385 with the zz4 shortblock and fast burn heads is a zz430 with the hot cam kit with 1.6 rockers? any help/suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I built one (350) and agree with Al it idles down to 600 or so which is a benefit for my marine application that "crashes" two gears together for a shift. I has a nice pop to the idle but may not be radical enough if you are wishing for a lumpy big cam idle. Great low end torque and adequate horses for my application.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,643 Posts
I have the hot cam kit in my LT1, it has a slight lope to it. Fun to cruise and drive with, super streetable. My setup (unported heads, headers) puts down 300 rwhp/torque.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
had that cam kit in my Nova with a set of vortec heads with a quadrajet and Performer intake. i built that motor way back in 2000, before i'd ever heard of anyone else building that particular head/cam combo. i always wanted to get a set of Fastburn heads for it..
it idled silky smooth at 800 rpm, and with a slight lope at 750. it had 17" of vacuum at idle, and off idle throttle response like a well tuned stock 350, but with a powerband that took off at around 3000 and went on until about 6500- but i could rev past 7000 like nothing.
it would easily knock down 17mpg with 3.70 gears and 26" tall tires with a T10 4 speed. i have no doubt that i could have gotten well over 20mpg if i had ever gotten that TKO500 trans i wanted to get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts