Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Retired
16,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally figured out my elec. choke install and got it all hooked up. Took 12v lead from my cowl relay which is keyed, then added a ground to the firewall. Fired up the power and sure enuf the choke slowly pulled the plate open but I felt the leads where they connect to the choke and the ground blade was VERY hot to the touch in just 30 seconds. The + lead was cold. I did use smaller guage ground than I did on the + ,trying to stick with black to ground color and red to +. Question, would larger guage ground NOT heat up? Im concerned with the heat since this type of choke must be 'on' all the time with the key. Ideas? Thanks you elec. experts.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Retired
16,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip Don,it makes sense but will that eliminate the hotness of the wire?
That would shorten the wire from about 12" to maybe 3" but should I be using wire guage as thick as the positive lead?
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Well, 14 gauge wire would be fine, and soldered connections would be ideal.

I think the whole thing was because the ground wire was too long, too small gauge, and the ground you used on the firewall might have been bad (too much resistance)

With engine running, how many volts are you seeing at the + terminal of the choke coil?

[This message has been edited by ZZ430DropTop67RS (edited 10-02-2002).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts