Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems this season car is harder to start when warm, nothing was changed.
There is the smell of gas so figure carb is heating up
It has the insulator gasket under carb, do they lose their affect after time ?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
It has the insulator gasket under carb, do they lose their affect after time ?
I don't believe the insulator gaskets lose any affect over time. On SBC some closed or minimized the exhaust X over passage on intake to minimize heat to carb. Edelbrock intake gaskets have the option of using their metal reducer for those ports. What I have in addition to a insulator gasket under carb. I see temps over 100 often here in SoCal without issues....YMMV

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gas smell after engine shut down warm , not cold , choke works correctly will check floats ,plugs .

car runs fine otherwise

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Bill, you may need to install a heat shield in addition to the Insulating spacer beneath the carburetor. It sounds like the fuel in the bowl may be boiling over and flooding the engine after the car is shut down. What type of carburetor do you have? If its a Rochester Quadrajet , the well plugs may be leaking allowing the bowl to drain down after the car is shut off. An empty fuel bowl and a flooded engine will make it difficult to start the car.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
holley carb, was thinking the shield also .have not had this problem since I put the thick gasket in few years back

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Bill, I did have this problem with both my small block and my big block engines. Once the car was off and in the garage where it was quiet, I could actually hear the fuel gurgling in the bowls. After they boiled over, the smell of raw gas would fill the garage. At the local cruise in, I used to have to push the peddle to the floor and hold it there while I started it, and then once it cranked over and fired, there would be a plume of black smoke from the engine being flooded. The Holley heat shield kit is about $30. It worked for me. It might be worth it to give it a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts