Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new engine harnesses, and the wires going down to the starter get extremely hot being near the headers just on idle. Is there something I should wrap around them so they will not melt? Or is the wrap that comes with the harness good enough.
Thanks, Barry

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
There are several wraps out there to prevent header heat soak to the starter and its wiring. You might also try the "Pink Floyd" approach. Mount and route your wiring on the dark side of the Moon. Meaning use the starter as the heat shield and run your wires on the side not facing the headers.

·
Super Moderator
32,531 Posts
Along with Brian's suggestion, use the OE designed harness holder attaching to the top vertical bellhousing bolt.

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
I think this is what Ev is talking about. My starter wires were close enuf to manifold to start melting so I bought this harness tube and installed it but kept the old wires since they still worked fine. It stopped further melting. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried to get that bell housing bolf off from underneath, but it would not budge

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They sell heat shield wrap at Advance auto, that shields wires up to 500 degrees, think the headers get hotter than that??
Or I could take the wires out if the firewall wire gutter for more slack and try to run behind engine and down

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
you can go to your local electrical contractor and get this

you can get it with wire or with out and it comes in various diameters
I used a piece of 5/8" to shield the heat from the wires
you can paint it

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought heat shield wrap that is rated for 500 degrees, is that good enough to protect my starter wires?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I put a small hole with a grommet just behind the starter and run my wires out the firewall. For the 2gauge wire I have that sticky backed foil wrap stuff which looks terrible so I cover that with two DEI spark plug boot protectors, since that wire can be seen and runs through the firewall were the heater hoses used to come out (batt is in trunk)

·
Registered
210 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts