Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the springs installed and the car thanks to the help of my Uncle, its sitting on the ground without the shocks installed. We rolled the car around and bounced it up and down,side to side. My next question is when the shocks are installed will it make a difference in the hight of the car going up? I have 1968 15x7 Corvette rally wheels with BFG p225/15/60

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thats what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure.......

This is nwhat my front end look after 2" drop...the rear springs are 5 leaf non Hotchkis.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me what the measurement on the rear (lip to ground) would be with Hotchkis 1.5" drop rear springs? My front 2" drop springs are 24" (lip to ground).

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
Because tire diameter affects the overall car's height you should measure from the lip to the center of the wheel when comparing cars. Your car looks like it is sitting pretty level now. Have you already adjusted the car's height in the rear.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still need to adjust the Konis and install them in the front. Did anyone else have trouble torquing the rear lower control arm bolts with a torqu wrench because of thehight with the lower springs? I want to loosen the shackle bolt and retorque it again just to make sure, I'll take some pic of the car out side and post them soon.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Front measures 24" from lip to ground, 13" from center wheel to lip. Rear measures 25" from lip to ground and 14" from center wheel to lip........

·
Registered
243 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the measurement on the rear (lip to ground) would be with Hotchkis 1.5" drop rear springs? My front 2" drop springs are 24" (lip to ground).
The measurements listed below are sample heights to be expected with Hotchkis Springs or TVS kits. Vehicles are all stock Camaro's equipped with 225/60/15 wheel and tire packages. Measurements are taken from the ground to fender lip on a level ground.

Year Front Rear
67-68 25 1/8 27
1969 24 25 ¾
1971 25 ½ 26

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just did a post on this since my 68 conversion but its wheel center to lip numbers.

Just did the 2" drop coils front and 1.5 drop leafs in the rear. Hated to pony up for this stuff but then end result is absolutely perfect both front and rear height. Rides like a dream.

Front center wheel to bottom fender 13 3/4"
Rear center wheel to bottom fender 14 1/4"

PS, on this install, drilling out the leaf mounts blow but other than that its OK. 1/2 day coils. Full day leafs for inexperienced guy. And not only are springs "dangerous" so use caution but the leafs can spring off as well if the car and axle are separated too much/not enough. Take this slow.
Will post pics shortly.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Is it the mono or multi leaf shock plates that need drilling?

Can the front control arm bushing bolts be torqued on a set of car ramps rather then the ground? I know they should be torqued on the ground but I can not get to the lower rear bolt.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
just got my hotchkis rear leaves installed today...waiting on a buddy to come over next week with a spring compresser for the front coils...will stock height shocks work with the tvs?...will upgrade as money allows to better shocks....but can i get by with the stock height ones?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
...waiting on a buddy to come over next week with a spring compresser for the front coils...
You wont need a spring compressor to install the Hotchkis coils, they are short enough where you can lift the a-arm up by hand. To remove the old ones a floor jack under the a-arm to lower it with the spring tied to the sub-frame (cable/chain) so it wont come out and bite you will work well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts