Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Noob on Team Camaro first thread here, although I have been getting great info from this site for many years.

Does anyone here know the rating on Hotchkis 2407C 1.5 drop rear leafs for first gen cam? I read a thread that someone found a 174 and 179 stamped on there's; can anyone confirm this?
I have Hotchkis 2 inch drop front coils and want run a proper rear setup. I am currently looking at a heavy duty stock sized spring "175# Landrum 21-340SPD" with a 1" lowering block or the Hotchkis rear leafs above. Would there be much of a difference here for axle wrap or will the de-arched Hotchkis springs just blow them away not even close? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

·
10,160 Posts
I've personally rated the Hotchkis 1.5" drop second gen springs at 175 lbs. I imagine the first gen leaf is the same. I like the Hotchkis leaf spring better because it has an extra thick lower leaf that is longer and it acts to stabilize the spring for wrap up. We had no wheel hop issues running a 383 engine with 360 wheel hp on the dyno and autocrossing it regularly. A 67 Camaro may have more chance of trouble due to the non-staggered shocks. 68/69's are more like the second gen Camaros.
I have no experience with the Landrum springs.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have the Hotchkis 1.5 drop spring on my 67 Camaro. 500hp small block, 6spd, 285/40/17 tires, Ridetech single adjustable shocks(no lowering block) I have TERRIBLE axle hop. The ONLY time that it doesnt do it is on really slick/smooth pavement with the car already moving. From a dead stop... forget about it....

Im taking them out in a couple months... Ill make you a good deal for the springs/shocks :)

On my previous 67, I had fiberglass mono springs from Corvette Specialties. That car had a similar set up. Zero wheel hop.

·
10,160 Posts
I have the Hotchkis 1.5 drop spring on my 67 Camaro. 500hp small block, 6spd, 285/40/17 tires, Ridetech single adjustable shocks(no lowering block) I have TERRIBLE axle hop. The ONLY time that it doesnt do it is on really slick/smooth pavement with the car already moving. From a dead stop... forget about it....

Im taking them out in a couple months... Ill make you a good deal for the springs/shocks :)

On my previous 67, I had fiberglass mono springs from Corvette Specialties. That car had a similar set up. Zero wheel hop.
Have you tried stiffer shock settings?

The 67 Shock placement is terrible.
My 67 had no problems when I ran Guldstrand autox springs but those springs had bronze bushings in the spring eyes and they rattled the mounting bolts loose frequently. The original mono-leaf springs were terrible.

I'd try clamping the lowest leaf to the main pack about 2" in from the ends & don't use any rubber or polyurethane pads on the spring perches. I made steel shims to take up the space.
I'd do just the front ends first and see if it improves. Tighten clamps with the cars weight on it's wheels, or jackstands supporting the differential.
I'm not sure this exact part fits your leaf but something of this type is what I'm thinking. https://www.amazon.com/Superior-13-1401A-Leaf-Spring-Clamp/dp/B001DKSM7Y

1 - 4 of 4 Posts