Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a set of Hotchkis springs on my '67 in hopes of dropping it about an inch and a half. This did not happen, in fact there was no change at all. I had multi leafs on it and the ground to top of the fender lip is exactly 28 3/8". I did post this in Bench marking, but my question is what is the right height for the rear suspension? I believe I am to measure from the center hub to the lip, but in all the books I have I can't find a number.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Mr. G,
Mine dropped quite a bit after a week of driving. Not sure what size wheels you have, so I measured from the center of the hub cap straight up to the top of the wheel opening...14-7/8".
Hope that helps,
Scott

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott gave me some good info already. As far as what i have the rear tires are 255/45/17's. Now dennis is correct the message was on bench racing as I also indicated. But for some reason I wasn't getting some specific numbers to compare with what i have. I will measure the hub to fender lip tonight, but there must be a specific stock spec somewhere on this and I realize there are some variation's based on variables for each car but it must be documented.......

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
Guy the factory used floor to rocker measurments based on the stock tire size. What you need is for someone with stock 14" wheels,tires and suspension to measure their hub to fender lip. Your numbers should be real close to Scotts.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dennis. I sent an email off to Hotchkis to see what they have to say as they are the ones that stated I would get a 2 inch drop so they must have some kind of reference to backup their statement. I realize our cars have been altered much over the past 40 years and to expect a 2 inch drop on a already modified vehicle would be unrealistic, but i would like to see some spec.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Old worn springs might have already had it dropped two inches. New spring to drop it two inches might have put your hight right back at what it was but your spring rate is going to be better. To get lower you might have to go with a block.

Joe

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The old multi springs on the car may be the problem even though they looked and felt pretty good. The new ones do feel better as we drive it in fact last night my son took it for a run upto Los Gatos and said it felt awesome and coming from a kid that drives one of the hot rice cars that was not a bad complement. Now in measuring the hub to fender lip i get 15.5 " a little more than Scott had and I must admit I like the stance Scott has on his car. Perhaps running it for awhile might help, we shall see.

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
Guy what shocks and shock plates are you using. I have wondered about this rear ride height being different (mostly '67 & '68s) from car to car. Multi leaf vs mono leaf parts with the new hotchkis spring could make a difference... Same with the spring perches...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Guy,
I have my 67 non-staggered shock plates + multi-leaf perches on the axle + inexpensive KYB shocks w/shock extensions screwed onto the top of them.
Scott

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you saying that with the car on the ground, if I pull the shock bolt off the shock should extend about an inch beyond where it bolted up? My thoughts was to have the shock centered when it is hooked up.

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
I'm sorry, let me correct myself, i had 2 thought processes and crossed them up. :clonk:

With the suspension completely hanging (car supported on stands) the rear shocks should be too short to bolt up to the lower shock mount by an inch or so... If the shocks are too long they could cause the rear to set higher than it should.

If you unhook both the lower shock mounts and drop the car on the springs, and the shocks when collasped are too long to bolt up - the shock is too long and is supporting the car's weight instead of the springs.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dennis,

Are you saying that when the wheels are on the ground that the shock is compressed to the end of travel and is acting as a bar not allowing the spring to extend further in its travel? Also are the shackles suppose to rotate allowing this kind of movement?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mister G-

I just picked my 67 up from the shop after a final seating of the Hotchkis coils in front. I've had the rear Hotchkis leafs for several months and they did actually raise the ride height from the saggy originals. My car now sits 15.5" from the hub to fender lip in the rear and 14.5" from the hub to fender lip in the front. Looks great and rides great too.

Brent

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brent,
That is pretty much what I have now. Tonight I pulled the rear shock off the lower mount to make sure I have good travel both ways. What i did was run the shock up and down and meaured 7.25 " of travel. I then made sure it mounted at about 60% up from full extension. I actually had 55% which was fine for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts