Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble installing my 1.5 drop hotchkis leafs. I can't get the upper bushing into the frame. I measured the new bushing verses the old rubber one and there is a differance of 30 thousand. I know this is not very acurate but 30?
I called hotchkis and am waiting for their camaro guy to get back to me.I looked through my essembley manual to see if there is a sleeve or something they used along with the rubber bushing and it didn't show one, is there though?...Thanks guys.....jeoff

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
No sleeve on the old ones...This seems to be a pretty common problem with the urethane bushings from Hotchkis. Make sure that the mounting surface is free of rubber deposits and rust. I used a little sand paper to clean up the inner edges of the frame holes on my install. If they still don't fit well you can try:

Filing off the excess bushing material or have them turned at a machine shop.

Freeze them to see if they will shrink enough to fit without filing.

Press fit them into the frame with some all thread, washers and a couple of nuts. (that's how I got mine in- use plenty of lube!)

I never bothered to measure how off mine were, but they started into the frame well enough- I just helped them along with some muscle. :D

[ 07-09-2003, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: choptop ]

·
Retired
26,591 Posts
Originally posted by choptop:
Press fit them into the frame with some all thread, washers and a couple of nuts. (that's how I got mine in- use plenty of lube!)
I used the shakles and a bolt and pressed one side in and then the other. It goes like this,

<Shakle - Frame - Bushing - Shakle> run the bolt through and put a nut n the bolt and tighten the bushing in place. Then repete for the other half...

·
Registered
929 Posts
I ended up using a wood rasp to file a little material off the bushings. They still fit tight, but could be pressed in by hand.
I originally got one half in (before filing) but the steel sleeve wouldn't go in with the other half.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I just did mine using the all thread trick suggested on this site. They went in fine. I would never have been able to press them in by hand. The all thread was simple and quick.

Make sure you get the right bushings in the right locations. The frame bushings are different from the rear spring eye bushings. Not that I know this from experience.

Murph

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Ditto, threaded rod. I used the old shackles as washers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input guys. I took one of the bushings into work today and had the boys turn it down to 1.570 it was oringinaly 1.612 or 1.620. I came home ,lubed it up and it went in with a little hammer tapping. It's in there tight I can't move it with my hands or gigle it at all. So I'm going to turn the rest.
One more question. Do you need to lube up the bushings that are between the leafs and axle also? The directions are pretty vauge.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
And while on that subject, if you had 5 leaf springs before the depth of the perches may be to much for the pads shipped with the springs. Hotchkis offers a steel plate and longer spring bolt to make up the difference. This may or may not be an issue. Just a heads up for you.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Thanks for the info! I just called them and they are sending them out to me!

Gary

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
robert please explain again. I did have five leafs on the car what was that about the perches and steel plates???? I don't understand?
I got the passanger side loosley in today..Man thats a job not to do by yourself, those things are heavy. The turned down bushings worked out super but I had a hell of time getting the old ones out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts