Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

once again i need a little advice...

Right now i have a 350 SBC and a fiberglass hood. No AC or other heavy stuff.

I want to lower the front about 2", but not more. Since i also ordered Hotchkis Shocks i have to decide between Hotchkis Springs 1907f (for SBC) and 1906f (for BBC).

But here's the clue - i will swap my 350 for a 496 with aluminium heads next winter. So i was searching for weight differences between SBC and BBC - here's what i found:

SBC iron heads: 575 --> actual combo
BBC iron heads: 685
BBC alum heads: 610 -> combo next winter

So now i have a difference of 45 pounds between my 350 and the future 496.

And here's the thinking: with my carbon fiber hood, the 45 pounds are (almost?) gone.

This brings me to the conclusion that i should buy the SBC springs for the 496, since i assume, that the springs are rated to stock engines (without aluminium heads).

Is that right? I just want to avoid buying new springs and sitting too low after installing the 496.

Thanks in advance!
Alex

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Call Hotchkis and ask them ! :) :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think you nailed. I would be opting for the SBC springs based on what you described. I think Hotchkiss will tell you to use the small block spring with BBC and aluminum heads.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
I think you nailed. I would be opting for the SBC springs based on what you described. I think Hotchkiss will tell you to use the small block spring with BBC and aluminum heads.
x2. The springs don't care what engine you have, just how much weight you have up front. I'd go with the 1907's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect, thanks a lot for your comments.

I did contact Hotchkis and they told me to go with the 1907, but i was looking for some real life experience - so thank you!

I just ordered them and i'm looking forward to install them (not so much the installation, but the result :hurray:)

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
I just ordered them and i'm looking forward to install them (not so much the installation, but the result :hurray:)
Cool. I'd hate to know how much shipping was on those. If I recall, they were like trying to carry a hundred pound wet noodle.

Good luck with the install, post some pics for future reference.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jap, shipping to germany is always a bit of a mess... but i hope this time, i-parcel helps me to keep everything smooth.

Shipping costs? Let's say - without the € being this strong ATM, it would kill me :)

It will take some time tills it's over here and installed but i'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Perfect, thanks a lot for your comments.

I did contact Hotchkis and they told me to go with the 1907, but i was looking for some real life experience - so thank you!

Your welcome!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a SBC motor in my car but wanted a 'level' stance. I called Hotchkis and they told me the only difference was a 1/2inch drop between the springs. The spring rate is identical which is supposed to be 600lbs/in. I ended up with the BB springs. The car has since been converted to a LS and is much lighter in front the stance is higher but it is actually more level and not higher in the front so either way you should only see a 1/2 inch difference between the springs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts