Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is my first post and I just wanted to say how much of a help this forum has been. I have a 67 Camaro with Mono and will be switching over to a hotchkis multi leaf. I ordered the 2407c kit and the HPS 1000 shocks that go with it. I talked to Hotchkis and they say I don't need anything else to install the leafs but after reading every post I could find on this site I am not sure. It seems as if some people are using spacers and others are not? I just want to make sure I have everything to get the job done this weekend.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Spacers should not be needed or used with the Hotchkiss springs as they will lower the car on their own. The Kotchkiss spring kits are complete and should give you everything you need.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much! The spacer I am talking about would be so the upper and lower shock plates hit each other like factory and it looks like the hotchkis will have a gap between the plates? If that is ok then I should be all set with what I ordered. I just thought that if I needed the mono to multi kit I would get spacers and smaller u bolts so that I did not have to drill the holes bigger.

Thanks again,
Kevin

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
The Hotchkis leafs did not lower the car enough for my tastes, so I made some lowering blocks to get it where I wanted. That made for a hefty gap between the shock plate and the spring perch. I made some simple spacers for that out of 1/2 x 1/2 square tubing. I didn't drill out the holes for the bigger Hotchkis U-bolts - I just used 4 of the factory style U-bolts

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The Hotchkis leafs did not lower the car enough for my tastes, so I made some lowering blocks to get it where I wanted. That made for a hefty gap between the shock plate and the spring perch. I made some simple spacers for that out of 1/2 x 1/2 square tubing. I didn't drill out the holes for the bigger Hotchkis U-bolts - I just used 4 of the factory style U-bolts

I was just going to ask about the Hotchkis U-bolts being a bit wider than the holes in the spring perch! I don't have any original u-bolts since the car had some traction bars when I bought it. Any way to make the ubolts worK?? Maybe throw them in a vice and bend them in?? :confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
One more thing with this.... i am going from mono to hotchkis multi leaf in my 69 and now am putting in my new moser rear . If i use these mono leaF PLATES TO GO UNDER THE SPRINGS will they hit the rims where the shock bolts too? I have 18inch rear rims.
The spring perches are deeper on the moser diff , so the lower shock mount would be lower to the rim. I hope that made sense?:confused:

Gav

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
The wider the gap between the upper an lower perchs, the more likely the lower shock mount will interfere with the inner rims of wide wheels. this is more pronounced when using a mono lower perch (shock mounts lower than mult lower perch). i run 17" x9.5" w/5.5 bs with multi lower perch touching the upper perch and plenty of room .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ride height is a tough one. Everyone has a different idea about what looks good, so it's hard to please everyone - the red convertible looks fantastic, and we love hearing when people make extra mods to lower the cars even further.

Most customers bolt the springs (or complete TVS) on as-is and like the fact that it sits lower than stock but still has some clearance. The tough thing about ride height on older cars is that many cars on stock springs have sagged so low that the owners are used to it, and when they put new sport springs in the car actually sits higher!

So many customers requested springs with an even lower ride height that we finally answered the call: This is a sneak preview of our all-new 3" drop springs. Here's an installed shot:

You can get them alone or with a TVS, and they bolt in just like our other springs, but with a full 3-inch drop instead of a 1.5-inch drop. We've designed them with a spring rate that provides a really comfortable ride and still delivers the same performance.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Ride height is a tough one. Everyone has a different idea about what looks good, so it's hard to please everyone - the red convertible looks fantastic, and we love hearing when people make extra mods to lower the cars even further.

Most customers bolt the springs (or complete TVS) on as-is and like the fact that it sits lower than stock but still has some clearance. The tough thing about ride height on older cars is that many cars on stock springs have sagged so low that the owners are used to it, and when they put new sport springs in the car actually sits higher!

So many customers requested springs with an even lower ride height that we finally answered the call: This is a sneak preview of our all-new 3" drop springs. Here's an installed shot:

You can get them alone or with a TVS, and they bolt in just like our other springs, but with a full 3-inch drop instead of a 1.5-inch drop. We've designed them with a spring rate that provides a really comfortable ride and still delivers the same performance.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Let me be the first to say: Thank You for being a company that listens to its customers. :beers:
Your website recommends the 3" drop leafs should be used with a 3" drop up front. Since your lowest drop spring up front is 2" are you recommending to customers they cut one coil off the 2" drop springs? Do you have any pics of your 3" drop leafs on a 67-68?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Let me be the first to say: Thank You for being a company that listens to its customers. :beers:
Your website recommends the 3" drop leafs should be used with a 3" drop up front. Since your lowest drop spring up front is 2" are you recommending to customers they cut one coil off the 2" drop springs? Do you have any pics of your 3" drop leafs on a 67-68?

we achieved the level stance on Drew's 69 Camaro with 3" springs in back and tubular arms in front with a 2" coil and the adjustable spring shims removed.

For more details, give us a call. We're always happy to talk about our project cars.

·
Retired
26,590 Posts
Remember your results may vary - each car seems to be a bit different. This is with 3/4" lowering blocks and the Hotchkis leafs.

Just as an example of what Al is saying, here's my '69 with the same 1.5" drop springs and a 1/4" spacer where Al's lowering block is...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Funny that you ask. But the 3" front springs are coming out in 4 weeks, early Jan 2010 according to the guy who owns that car who works for Hotchkis. Currently the Hotchkis site doesn't have it posted yet, but they will have a full TVS system available with the new 3" drop for both front and back. I'm picking up a set for myself ;).

According to the car's owner of that 69 camaro, he's got 245/25/17s all around and they do not rub. No tubs either. It's a close fit on the rear, not sure if you can do 255 without modding, but that should give you a pretty good idea where to start out with. I'll let you all know how mine fit after I put it in after Christmas. I'll post pics too.

·
10,142 Posts
I highly recommend you check pinion angle when swapping leaf springs. On our 2nd gen Camaro, I had to add an angle spacer to the top of the leaf, which used up some space, so I left out the top pad.
David

1 - 20 of 23 Posts