Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the 1 1/2 lowering rear hotchkis suspension leaf springs for my 69 camaro. Im facing a problem with putting the bushing in the rear frame rail. the hole is not evenly smooth which is the problem but nothing works to clean it. I tried using a 6in bolt with two washers and i end up breaking the head. this is only happening on one side. The other side wasn't perfectly clean and i used the nut nad bolt idea and it went it. if someone can please help with an idea or some way of cleaning the hole. thanks you

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
well i had the same problem i had to trim the bushings down with a bench grinder...just took a little bit off and the slid in...i have had it on there for some time and driv eit everyday and have not had any problems...thats the only thing i could do to make them fit nothing else worked and mine was liek that for both sides

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
i used started with some 80 grit sand paper and moved down to 200 to remove most of the rust, then lots of grease and the bolt thing, didnt break any bolts

·
Retired
26,594 Posts
First of all not cleaning up the area the bushing fits into before installing them is asking for squeeks down the road. Clean the area with some sand paper by hand and then lube it up very well. Next use a short section of all thread, nuts and washers to press the bushings in. Lube the bushings too and you'll get them in... Remember too when tightening the nuts the bushing can compress and get fatter making it not want to fit. If it stops sliding in stop tighting it, back off a little and try to twist the bushing a bit. then tighten a little and see if it goes further. the trick is not to keep tightening after it stops moving...

·
Registered
91 Posts
You might want go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get some grade 8 washers and bolts for your "home made" press that was mentioned in the previous post. There is no bearking or bending grade 8 hardware. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts