Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any photos of this? My original leafs are so old, I am afraid new drop leafs springs may raise my car! Not sure what to put on 1.5 lower or 3"?

17" old school rims with 275/40/17

68 vert

Also, suggested shock brand?

Thank you all!!!

PS, after posting, saw the 69 photos and comments from Hotchkiss on 3" springs. No info on 68's though.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
You fear of your car sitting higher then it does now with 1 1/2" springs is well founded. Often times original springs are saging more then 1 1/2" from original, especially mono leaf springs. The 1 1/2" drop is from stock orignal which is pretty damn high.

For shocks it is a no brainer, Hotchkis / Bilstien are valved for their springs. If you want some adjustability I can do QA1 12 way shocks.

Which ever you decide we do have all Hotchkis and QA1 on a killer sale.

For reference, here is a pair of 67s we did with the 1 1/2" Hotchkis kits.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
17" Wheels are old school ? I would say 14" or 15" is old school. :)

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
I see now ! That still is a strange name for something that isn't really "old school".

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Hotchkis recommends that their 3" drop leafs be used with a 3" drop up fornt. Of course the standard drop spring up front is 2". Curious how people are gaining an extra inch. (um....that came out wrong)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Frank,
How much drop does the front of the black '67 have? That's close to the height I'm looking for in the front.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Hotchkis recommends that their 3" drop leafs be used with a 3" drop up fornt. Curious how people are gaining an extra inch. (um....that came out wrong)
They are probably removing the lower bump stops from the lower "a" arms. i had to severly reduce mine with the hotchkis 2" drop springs.

·
Premium Member
5,987 Posts
Frank, Can you run the Hotchkiss rear swaybar with a stock 12Bolt that has the factory traction bar? Also, can the Hotchkiss rear multi-leafs be used with a single leaf bracketed 12Bolt? Thanks-

·
Registered
753 Posts
Both those car have 17" wheels and both cars have Hotchkis TVS kits on them. So the standard 1 1/2" to 2" drop
Thanks for the info. Maybe I won't need to go as low as I had expected.
Do you happen to know the difference in these pics between the two cars? The front of the black one looks noticeably lower than the blue.

on a side note... do you typically do a staggered drop? IMO, the rear should go down another 1.5" to 2". Would this be a total of 1.5-2 front and 3-3.5 rear?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I think it is different camera angle and wheel well molding and no wheel well moldings. They are pretty close to the same.

As for staggering, that is the regular TVS kit.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Prodigy Customs has got it covered. Nice looking cars!

Melrose RS - The rear sway bar cannot be used on the 1967 Camaro with the traction bar in place. If you remove the traction bar the sway bar can be used. Our Leafsprings can be used on Mono or Multi leaf cars. You can review the instructions for specific tips on trimming the pads.

·
Premium Member
5,987 Posts
Prodigy Customs has got it covered. Nice looking cars!

Melrose RS - The rear sway bar cannot be used on the 1967 Camaro with the traction bar in place. If you remove the traction bar the sway bar can be used. Our Leafsprings can be used on Mono or Multi leaf cars. You can review the instructions for specific tips on trimming the pads.
Thanks, but I still need clarification. When you say "remove the traction bar" do you mean unbolt it or must the bracket which is welded to the axle tube be permanently cut off?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Really good to see a comparison pic between 1.5 and 3 or even just a 67/8 with the 3" drop leafs. Prodigy told me the 3" leafs are on back order so maybe some 67/8 has them on? If so a pic would be great.
Big question is what does 3" drop do to performance? 1.5" has been touted by GW and others as what was acceptable drop without destroying handling.
I just put in Hotchkis 2" drop front springs and would like to stick with em for the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
You need to cut the bracket off the rear end,I did ,my 12 bolt was from a 67...Happy motoring

Side note: you drop your car to much, you may half to reset pinion angle

·
Premium Member
5,987 Posts
You need to cut the bracket off the rear end,I did ,my 12 bolt was from a 67...Happy motoring

Side note: you drop your car to much, you may half to reset pinion angle
Thanks, I was afraid of that...:(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts