Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting my ignition over to electronic and I know that you should diable the resistor wire and run a new 12 ga. wire. Do I completely remove the resistor wire and how? Or do I cut it as far back as possible and attach the new wire? Engine is out, so its alot easier to access everything.
I've read most of the posts on this topic and still not 100% sure on best or proper way.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Jay
69 SS-350 4-speed
Hotchkis suspension

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I always just run a wire from the ign. side of the starter solenoid to the dist. Might not hurt to use a fusable link.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I cut my resistor wire as close as possible to the firewall and spliced a new wire on where I cut at the firewall. then ran this wire to the HEI. this is the way an old member "Ignitionman" told me to do it and it works fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did mine in the summer and I simply peeled the harness tape back to the fire wall block removed the resistor wire connector and all and replaced it with the new wire the connector ends are available from any of the parts suppliers or even a good auto parts store , thats were I got mine , retaped it with the original style tape and you would never know anything was done good luck

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The ign switch will not carry the current load needed for an HEI. You may get away with it for a while but it will get you in the end. HEIs require the max voltage they can get. Any resistance too small of wire or a switch that won't carry the current will hurt performance.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Jaybird, you are correct that you can just pop the connector out of the block and then remove the old resistor wire, and then solder your new 12 gauge wire to that connector and then push it back into the block until it "clicks" in place. Like was said above, you will be better served by installing a relay and leaving the factory resistor wire in place and using it to trigger a relay that will carry the required voltage.. Have you seen the post recently about the RS/SS that burned because of faulty wiring? Something to think about.. Wiring in these cars is not an area where you want to go cheap or anything less than professional.

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine is currently ran off a toggle switch. It was wired like that when i bought the car. I'm going to re-wire it to start without the toggle though. One nice thing is if you put the switch out of sight, it's a great anti-theft device/deterrent. If your like me though, you'd like it better just being able to hit the key and go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts