Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am looking at new shocks and it occurred to me that it might make a difference in what I buy if my car has been lowered at some point.

Does it matter? How can I tell if my car has been lowered in the past? If it has been, how do I determine what shocks to get? My car is a rough rider and hits bumps hard, if it is lowered would putting it back to stock height help that or would new shocks be enough?

Thanks in advance

·
10,142 Posts
Early camaros come with soft springs and a fairly high ride height. They came with skinny tires that weren't very good for traction. If your car looks fairly low then it's either been lowered or the springs have sagged. Lowered Camaros need to use stiffer springs to keep the suspension from bottoming out. The stiffer springs require shocks that are stiffer in rebound, (extension), softer in bump, (compression). The main function of shocks is to control the rebound of the spring.

Post up a side view photo of your car.
Take a look at your front and rear bump stops and see if they look like they've been hitting a lot.
Stock Camaro seats don't help, they allow the driver to bounce like a kid on a trampoline. they need less spring and more padding.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,175 Posts
Low profile tires(short sidewalls) will also cause a rougher ride and hard bumps...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts