Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new Spectra Premium Industries sending unit. I would like to test it before installing.

Here is what i am thinking:

- Ground the sending unit
- Hook the sending unit up to the gas gauge
- Power and ground to the gas gauge
- Lift the arm of the sending unit

Should that work? Thanks

1969 camaro

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Why not just get an ohm meter and hook it to the swith, then move the arm and watch the resistance change.
I think he wants to check the complete circuit, not just the sending unit. They way he is asking would check the guage, wiring, sending unit.

Do you have the factory guage and wiring in the car?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I don't - I'm trying to get it back to factory though. I am replacing an autometer fuel gauge with a OEM center fuel gauge from Rick's Camaros.

I've only been able to get a 1/4 tank reading when I hooked my existing sending unit up to the center fuel gauge. So I followed the advice of some threads here and ordered a new SPI sending unit. It's still being shipped.

I will test it with an OHM meeter also - let you know how it goes when i get my new sending unit. Thanks for the reply's.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I think the stickies at the top of the forum contains a gas gauge troubleshooting howto. You should find some useful info there as well regarding the full and empty resistance values and a simple way to test the circuit.

Keep in mind that the tank float mechanism probably won't sweep from stop to stop due to the space constraints in the tank. In otherwords, the range of resistance values you get holding it in your hand may be different than what you'll see once it's in the tank.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I am a electric idiot.....
I have a new sending unit...in box still. I want to test it before installing it in the tank.
There is absolutely no wiring in the car.
Do I have to get power to the unit? I placed an Ohm meter on the ground wire and the sending post. It went to 0 (moved to the right)..Picked up the float and nothing changed.

bad unit or just an idiot?

Rick

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Sounds like a bad unit or else your ohm meter wasn't connected properly.

Since you don't have any wiring installed, the ohm test is probably the best you can do for now. I believe it will show 0 ohms full and 90 ohms empty (I could have those reversed).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, clip one lead (red) to the small terminal, and the other to the ground lug on the flange. next slowly exercise the float and observe that you ohms range from 0 to 90, if this is the case the sender is good. I prefer an analog meter because it puts a load on what it is that you are testing, in this case the rheostat. I rebuilt mine. Any additional questions let me know i just did this system yesterday on my 67.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Mine was fine...I ended up just running to the local chevy dealer and had the shop hook up an Ohm meter and it worked fine

The mechanic was impressed with the unit and wanted to know how much it ran me..when I told him it was the $49 unit from Classic he was even more impressed with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts