Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I pulled my motor I had zero oil pressure. The oil pump is Milidon and has 150 miles on it. I suspect the oil sending unit and not the pump. I have the motor out of the car and the oil pan off. Would like to make sure before I put it all back together.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Luuuuke,
Go borrow an engine oil primer from autozone or kragen. Do what jeff said, if you have a gauge you should see it react from the test. Or pull valve cover off and watch for oil come up into top of heads.

·
Super Moderator
32,451 Posts
Place oil pan or drain pan underneath the chucked oil pump to drill motor.
Submerge the pick-up in the oil.
Turn on drill motor for a split second to confirm correct rotation; reverse drill motor direction if needed.
Extend arms and squeeze trigger - watch oil fly to the ceiling, if in the garage/living room/kitchen ---- no oil, bad pump or drill motor in wrong direction still.
Place a plate over the pump outlet, C-clamp would be good.
Squeeze trigger and see if relief valve works - oil will coming out the side of gear cover.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
Place oil pan or drain pan underneath the chucked oil pump to drill motor.
Submerge the pick-up in the oil.
Turn on drill motor for a split second to confirm correct rotation; reverse drill motor direction if needed.
Extend arms and squeeze trigger - watch oil fly to the ceiling, if in the garage/living room/kitchen ---- no oil, bad pump or drill motor in wrong direction still.
Place a plate over the pump outlet, C-clamp would be good.
Squeeze trigger and see if relief valve works - oil will coming out the side of gear cover.
LOL and don't forget your safety goggles. Swim mask and snorkel would work well!!!l:)

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
Was the engine running? Did it sound OK? I don't think it would run long or well with 0 lbs of pressure. Probably the sender or gauge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A little late but speaking as a 25yr journeyman mechanic the first thing you should have done is install a cheapo mechanical gauge to determine if the sender was bad or not. At this point I would remove the electrical sender and try to find a buddy to install it on his car and see what it reads. If your oil pressure really went to zero you more than likely need more than a new pump at this point :(
Anyone know how deep their crank is tapped for the balancer bolt? (differant thread but I'm still waiting for an answer:))

Good luck Lukeskywalker.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I want to say at least 2-1/4" to maybe 2-1/2".

Heck, might even be 3"??

Take a 7/16" x UNF bottom tap and tap away for a SB.

1/2" x UNF for a BB.

pdq67

1 - 11 of 11 Posts