Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked bought a pete jackson gear drive but I haven't seen it yet. So, I was just wondering are there still two little dots that I'll aim right at each other then just slide the idler gear in between or...?
Also, I heard about a guy welding a piece of steel 1 1/2" long and .125 thick to the back of his timing cover to keep the idler gear from walking out? Is this a good idea?
When I put the gear drive on(being that my crank is out too) should I get the number one piston at TDC or does it even matter?
Thanks alot,
Donnie

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about the double post...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Donnie,
Well I was just over in Redding this past weekend visiting some relative's.
Anyways, I also have a Pete Jackson Gear drive and once you get the package. You will find very good instructions on how they want it installed. I have never heard of welding in a piece of metal that "thick" before. Just follow their directions. And "Enjoy the Whine".

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tony,
Do you live around here or were you just visiting? I'de like to see your car sometime if your around again!
The gear drive that I'm buying is from a guy that's already had it on a car...I'm pretty sure that the instructions aren't with it and I have NO CLUE how to set the thing up?
Thanks again man,
Donnie

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Donnie,
No I currently in the Navy over in Fallon, NV about 69 miles east of Reno.
Let me see if I can find them and I'll scan them in and E-MAIL them to you. This might take a few days as I am hit and miss busy right now.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Remember that on all small block chevy's that I've worked on, the timing marks are at the top of each gear when # 1 cylinder is at TDC for firing with the distributer firing # 1. I'm not sure on gear drives.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air
700R4 TPI transmission

·
15,370 Posts
The latest issue of Hot Rod or Car Craft has an article on just what you're doing. I just read it last week. If you want the info from the article, I can give you the issue date/number or fax you the pages.
On the gear drive system they used, there are no marks or anything to worry about lining up. Good article.
Lemme know...

[This message has been edited by HwyStarJoe (edited 07-31-2002).]

·
Registered
389 Posts
HwyStarJoe,

Could you please post the issue date/number?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
We used to get a marine front cover that was much thicker than a stock one (no idea why) it held the idlers in place very well. I really don't know if you will have any trouble using a stocker but I was told to use the thick one and always did.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Well, I am here to tell you that I weld a flat stock piece of 20 gauge across the timing cover where the idler will ride. This gives rigidity to the timing cover and also a side benefit is that you set the front to back tolerances as tight as you can. This will mean that the gear will not wander, which is real important on a big cam engine, because the idler will actually pulse out away then pulse in with firing. The extra steel prevents this idler from poking it's way out of tolerance with the flimsy timing cover, and actually when set up properly makes the whine a silky smooth sound, the metal plate keeps the resonnance from making a big unwanted racket. It definitely has a more subtle sound.....but still there.

I have put dozens in this way with no problems and keeps the tolerances in tact for a long time.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks alot everyone!

So, you're saying to just weld a little piece of 20 gauge to the back of my timing chain cover and it will actually sound a little better? To be honest, I'm not too worried about the sound being better. I just don't want the idler gear walking back and forth like crazy.
Thanks again,
Donnie

·
Registered
142 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJS69:
Remember that on all small block chevy's that I've worked on, the timing marks are at the top of each gear when # 1 cylinder is at TDC for firing with the distributer firing # 1.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, you sure about that? Every Chevy I've worked on that is not true. The cam sprocket's mark goes at 6 o'clock and the crank sprocket's mark goes at 12 o'clock.

I just degreed in a cam last weekend. Lined up the dots, and bingo, cam was right on for centerline and intake valve open event.

-gw

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am glad you mentioned that too cause I was just beginnig to wonder myself

I lined them up one dot directly on top of the other with #1 just on downward stroke

for my first self engine build - so you can imagine my concern

------------------
T.K.

85 Camaro Berlinetta - 305ci, stock heads, flattops, 214/224-443/465, Edel. 600 & Performer intake, 700-R4 & transgo kit, TCI competition 10in. conv, 4.10, Auburn posi, Hedman 1 5/8 shortys,modified Ypipe stock exhaust,hi-flow muffler!

·
Registered
142 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gwarren:
Uh, you sure about that? Every Chevy I've worked on that is not true. The cam sprocket's mark goes at 6 o'clock and the crank sprocket's mark goes at 12 o'clock.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should correct this earlier post. The "dot over dot" method is how cam companies recommend you install the cam..probably b/c with the dots so close it's easier to be more accurate than with both at 12o'clock.

However, at this point I do believe it is firing on #6. This would mean that with the cam dot at 12:00 and crank dot at 12:00 it is firing on #1 just like the earlier poster said.

-gw

·
Registered
389 Posts
GW:

So... when I install my GD, should I put #1 at TDC, note where the dots are with the timing chain sprockets then match the dots with the GD gears???

OR

match the dots, Cam @ 6 o-clock, crank at 12 o-clock and not worry about where the pistons are???

BTW:
Donnie,

Here is a pic of the PJ GD. Just came last night! If you look closely, you can see the dots.

Rob

------------------
69 Frame-off in progress (pics)

[This message has been edited by RFrenette (edited 08-02-2002).]

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
This is going to seem obvious to some but here goes. The #1 piston will be at TDC if the crank gear is in the correct location with the dot facing up at 12:00. The cam gear can then be installed with the dot in the 6:00 or the 12:00 position. If you install the cam gear in the 6:00 position, you are at #1 firing position. If you install the cam gear with the dot in the 12:00 position, you are now on the #6 firing position. If you are at the #6 firing position and want to get to the #1 firing position, you just rotate the crank one revolution and you are there. The dots will now be at 12:00 crank and 6:00 cam gear. Any other instalation is wrong. Duck soup for some of us but we all had to learn some time. Enjoy the gear drive! I love the sounds and smells of performance.

(edit) this #1 - #6 thing is backwards. My bad! See below. Thanks John and others!

-Mark.

[This message has been edited by stingr69 (edited 08-04-2002).]

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Uh, Mark ? You may have been thinking right, but you typed wrong. With the dots at 12 and 12 you will fire #1. With dots lined up (12 and 6) you will fire #6.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
TJS69,
I have never checked that. You may be right. I never actualy needed to know that for any reason so I never comitted it to memory. If you see the #1 lifters "on rock" with one higher than the other rather than both fully seated in their bores the engine is on the #6 firing position and vice versa.

Rob, you are fine so don't let this get you all confused again.

-Mark.

[This message has been edited by stingr69 (edited 08-02-2002).]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts