Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read from the untold secrets book, when installing Jl8 brake system on a 69 camaro to remove the check valve in the master cylinder.

Where is the check valve and how do i remove it.

thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
its under the brass seat on the rear line outlet . i have taped the hole for a small screw then put a washer over the port put the screw in then turn until it pulls out .

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do i have to remove both check valves ( front and rear) or do i just remove the back for Jl8

·
Registered
663 Posts
The check valve (actually a ~10psi residual pressure valve) is designed for drum brake systems. If you're going to run disc/disc, you don't want an RPV in either leg of the system.

BUT -- depending on what master cylinder you're starting with, there may not be an RPV in the from (or rear) outlets. Stock disc/drum master should have an RPV in the rear outlet only. Drum/drum master would have them in both ports. BUT, a lot of the master cyl rebuilders don't bother re-installing the RPV's, so a rebuilt "disc/drum" or "drum/drum" master may not have any RPV's at all.

Find an apropriately sized drill bit and use the back (blunt) end of the bit to probe the outlets -- you should be able to feel the RPV's if they're in there. Remove any RPV's from the m/c if you'r going over to disc/disc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts