Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my car running and on the road today!!( a year and 12g's later). Needless to say i was out for a test ride and decided to whack the gas pedal hard. The bad part was when i took my foot off it kept on accelerating. I have the rod type linkage and i want to know if anyone has any pics of how theirs is set up or if anyone has any hints on how to lube up the linkage. I dont wanna be stuck behind a 500hp runaway camaro again. Luckily the only damage was a light dent in the fender and a blown tire.

·
Retired
26,590 Posts
Check your driver side motor mount!! If broken will cause this when engine is rev'd... Disconnect the rod from the carb and make sure the carb doesn't bind the throttle at WOT... The rest is visual, look for binding at the gas pedal and floor board and on the firewall side where the lever comes up from the pedal!! Glad you wern't hurt!!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
994 Posts
Make sure you check it with the air cleaner on,also!!!

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have experience both situations, as stated below. I had the motor mount break and caused the engine to stick wide open. hold on and go for a ride. I also had the throttle stcik on the air cleaner. that was another hold on ride. Both of those problems can cause some serious trouble.
Bruce

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant figure out what caused this. I have solid motor mounts that are still in one piece and i have a Hilborn Style scoop/ air cleaner that doesnt come close to the linkage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did you try what DJD suggested?? If your linkage isn't adjusted right it will overcenter the throttle blades and stick wide open. How are your return springs mounted??Are they pulling from the front or back?? You can also check the linkage on the carb also.Anything bent?? Good luck..

·
Registered
650 Posts
A friend of mine has an old van that had the same problem. With his, the throttle shaft was worn to a point where the butterflies would cock themselves sideways in the bores and get jammed at WOT. He replaced the throttle shaft and all went well. Jiggle yours (throttle shaft, in case you were thinking dirty) to see if there is any noticable movement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts