Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is all related to 67 Camaro without factory gauges.

I have previously deleted my "gen" idiot light by installing a factory tach. I have after market gauges which do NOT include a ammeter. I would like to test my charging system to see if a recent "dead battery" situtation is a problem with the charging system or a battery problem. I have a digital multi-meter, but I just don't know where to place the probes to determine if my charging system is working. I also don't know how to measure for charging system health...is it volts or amps or what?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
your charging system should put 13.5-14.5 volts on the electrical system pretty much all the time (some normal systems won't with a lot of accessories on at idle.)

Best place to check are the screw terminals on the horn relay. Red lead to one of the screws, black lead to a good ground, regulator base or alternator case are both close by. check it with minimal load, and with everthing on. You might think abaout eiyther hooking the light back up, or installing a voltmeter. When if the charging system craps out, it's good to know it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts