Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I understand you will be wanting to replace the lower hinge pin roller also. The kit you linked to is just for the upper hinge. I have bought the lower roller for mine and the pin that goes through the roller. With that said you will probably need to adjust the door also. They make a tool for this. It is basically a bar to give leverage while prying the door up. I have yet to do mine because the research I have done online has kinda scared me away from attempting to do it at home. I can give you the part numbers for the rollers and pins if you would like. The unfortunate part is that the lower hinge pin has been discontinued and I have been unable to find a set. The jist of what scared me from doing it is people saying they have had to cut and re-weld the lower hinge. I don't have those. I wish I had the link for you but it has been a while. Maybe someone hear knows more. All I can say is do your research first. Good luck and hopefully will both get advice for this repair.
If the lower roller is binding, like mine was, spray with some PB Blaster and open and close the door several times. Try to move the roller as much as possible use screwdriver/pry bar to help. After that use permetx silver anti-seize on it it helps a lot and last a long time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there autotech. Thanks for your help and response but I'm pretty sure that will work on the bottom hinge as well. i believe i saw it on some website. because the screws can hold the bottom hinge on and the bushings can slide onto the bottom pin. i took a bad hinge that fit that camaro and played around with it. i compressed the spring and tried knowing the pin out. there was a stupid lip on the bottom with metal surround it not allowing it to come out. i had to grind that off and the pin came out. i also had to grind the head of the roller off. and there are about there others things of the hinge i had to grind off also. now im just gonna look for another hinge (i went through about five on the same door thanks to camaros STUPID design). I could put everything back together and tack weld the parts into place but i have no welder right now :( anyways i think our best bet is to go to the junk yard and get another hinge. i put two different doors on my camaro and five bottom hinges. a door on the passenger side with different hinge. so now it will be about my seventh door hinge for this camaro i needa get :/ crazy design. crazy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts