Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering how you tell if a 1968 Z28 is a real one?
What do I look for on the trim tag?
and anything else I can look for on the car.
I am looking at one, but I want to make sure
it is a real 1968 Z28, not just a camaro with
Z28 emblems.
Thank you.

Ray

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
in order to authenticate a 68 z ....since there is nothin in the cowl tag or vin stating a z.

paperwork is a definate plus.....

original MO code block with vin#

vin# on muncie tranny

date and axle code on original 12 bolt....

if the car passes all these requirements we will take it to the next level ie:
checking for re-stamp or faked parts etc.........

·
Registered
418 Posts
Lets also look at if it is the original engine, the pullies should be #rd. also not a definite sign since someone could find a complete engine swap. wheel size and date codes, good luck getting him to pull the tires off. How about the title? Does it carry a different desciption or is it just 8 cyl coupe? see if you can track the title . #s on the brake calipers, front. If someone did a full resto its almost impossible to tell if they replaced everything with proper date and part codes. Cant there be a scheduel of build for Z's in the plant? just like the copos were all in the 6's, or did they just throw them in every now and then? PS whats the price? Vin #s on parts are a good start as stated above but then you have to got to build dates. Its always a gamble. I would rather find a rust bucket in need of full resto for 30 than pay for a restored on for 35 or 55 like they go for.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
IF it is built in Van Nuys it is EZ to tell, the top of the cowl was painted stripe color, NOT the body color

what in the letter in the VIN?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
your correct, no vin# on axle housing i corrected my last statement....

thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ray, Open the glove box door and see if it has the original tire pressure sticker. The Z28 was the only Camaro to use 15" wheels and E-70-15" tires, Rob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts