Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tell if you have a RS SS or a Z28 Camaro. I bought a 1968 Camaro yesturday, and not sure weahter it is a RS, SS or a Z28. How can you tell?

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
how many leaf springs in the rear? how many bolts in the cover on the rear end? does it have power and/or disc brakes? are there any wierd numbers/letters on the trim tag, above and left of the brake mastercylinder/booster?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Post pic's someone will let you know. Look at mine it is a RS/Z-28 back-up light are in a different place and headlights have a cover that opens and closes. There more things but those items are easly spotted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to look in the morning when it warms up a little. In virginia it get a little cold this time of year.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Look at the cowl tag and figure out what options came with the car. Write down the information and go to of those web sites that does cowl tag decoding. It will let you know what you have.

Welcome to the Team :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Some good tips here so far ... Cowl tag codes, Front disc brakes, rear leaf springs, 10 bolt rear vs. 12 bolt, etc. Also, is an automatic or a 4 speed? There are many tell tail signs if know what to look for and pics would help.

Be carefull though ... there are some pretty good "wanabee's" out there ... that want to be, say a Z/28 but are really are not.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Dave it's a '68... The cowl tag doesn't contain any option codes...
What about the trim tag or VIN Dennis? There must be a way to check for engine size and options. How do you tell if the car you just bought is the real deal and not a Clone car? If you check the VIN numbers and Trim tag, shouldn't that give you any clues to what you have?

·
Retired
26,617 Posts
For all 3 years of 1st gen the vin will tell you, year, V8 or I6, coupe or convert, what plant the car came from and it contains a sequential serial number. The cowl tag is different each of the 3 years, in '68 it will tell you build date (mo and wk) plant it was built at, coupe or convert, interior and exterior colors and I believe std or dlx interior. That's about it, if I missed something someone is sure to add it...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to be getting out there today and look at what things is to look for, have to recover from the DMV. Just went to the DMV this morning and got hit off gaurd on the tax, I had to go back to the bank and get enough to cover the tax. WOW. Now I am trying to breath.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
They slid that tax in while no one was looking, I bet some camaros have paid more in tax than they sold for new. I think that started in the early 90s. Think about it it the perfect tax no one knew about it untill they bought a used car then go to put plates on and there it is, at that time you are one person standing in the dmv nevervoted that tax in but there it is suprise suprise. How about transpher stamps when you sell your house ya a leaving town tax. What will they think of next. Kinda reminds me of a song. Here is another fun tax to think about the next time you wipe your (rear end) there is tax on the paper you bought so you cant even go to the bathroom without paying tax.

·
Super Moderator
32,355 Posts
Just went to the DMV this morning and got hit off gaurd on the tax, I had to go back to the bank and get enough to cover the tax. WOW. Now I am trying to breath.
Welcome for living in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Have you seen the state flag? It's a man standing in a smock, robe, kamona, whatever, with his foot on the guy's chest who's laying on the ground, and he has his hand out. Does it tell you something?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, now I got some information from my car. 5 leaf springs, one is short on the bottom side, 10 bolt rear end, it has 4 drum brakes. This weekend I was able to look up where my Camaro was built at. This is the details of my Camaro. 07B = Built the Second week of July. 68-12437 = Coupe. NOR = Built in Norwood Ohio. 712 = Standard Black Bucket Seats. J-6 = Lower Color is Rallye Green and the Vinyl Top Color is White. My next question is how much does vinyl tops run? Or in your thoughts a design of the look...would you go and put a vinyl top on?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blue ss
vbmenu_register("postmenu_719139", true); Senior Tech, I think I am going to wait on the county sticker to see if Louisa County is going to do away with it. I hope they do, I got my truck and Camaro they county would get. This morning I think you could hear my teeth drop to the ground when the woman said $473.53 and thank you sir. I think I said, I was like I have to go and and and go back to the bank as I left the DMV. I think that was the most they got today.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update little more information. I think my Camaro is a base model. Eric Kammer from what he described about someone having trouble with their tail lights also descirbed mine. My tail lights the rear has a red, then white. I am working on it to get it ready to take it up to get it inspected. It might have the tags on it, but Virginia, you have to have it inspected before you drive it. What I am working on, a problem, I don't have a left blinker and a left brake light. When it warms up today, I am going to go out there and try to get it right. The feel like temp is 0 F. Plus a chance of snow tomarrow if it gets above 32 or 35

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Jon,

If you plate the car with "vintage" plates in Virginia you will not have to pay annual personal property tax, get emissions or safety inspection, or ever have to pay renewal fee for plates.

It is a great deal if you only plan to drive the car a few hundred miles per month.

You can get these plates on eBay or other places.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is that the same way with Antic. or the black (perm) plates?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I am referring to the black plates. These eliminate the need for inspections, emissions testing and annual registration.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats what I got yesturday, the black plate. Now I am glad I don't have to renew it every year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts