Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The G-Tech Pro Competition can tach your engine just from its power hookup through the lighter socket. How does it do this? Will a good vs poor charging system effect it? Does it matter if its points, electronic, trigger type ignition? Inquiring minds want to know! - Barry

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Ignition type does not matter. You have to calibrate the unit by holding several different RPM's for several seconds. It basically senses the electrical system noise and uses that for RPM. On some cars, especially ones with quiet electical systems, turning on a heavy load such as a rear window defogger will let the unit calibrate. The company was very helpful in solving several tech issues that I had.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Carl! Was it much hassel getting the unit all dialed in? Once up and running how do you like it? Have you used the 1st version, if so how do they compare?

·
10,164 Posts
Any alternator will put out a ripple wave which I guess is what they are reading.
Since the alternator speed could be anything relative to the engine speed it needs to be calibrated.
David

[ 03-23-2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: davidpozzi ]

·
Registered
467 Posts
Maybe interesting, maybe not, but i'll post it anyway
.There are even tach's that use the sound of an engine, they have a little microfone and catch the freqency. A few years ago Audi was very competitive in a certain european race series but the competition (Opel) suspected foul play. They used this kind of tach when the car passed and found out that the engine revved higher than a stock crank (mandatory in this series) could withstand. It turned out they used a stronger crank, and got discqualified and lost all points of the season (Audi quit the series at that time).

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
They are easy to use and take only a few minutes to do all of the necessary calibrations.

The second generation versions have many more features. There is supposed to be a road-race software package available soon that will allow (if memory serves) 20 minutes of data logging.

Braking distances are very accurate. As far a 1/4 mile or 0-60 times I don't know yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts