Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was planning on building a 400 (small block chevy) here is the combo. 400 .030 over
silvolite pistons, 9-9.5:1 comp, 3 angle valve job on stock heads, 226/234 dur (.050) .480/.498 lift (as you can see, i want torque),edelbrock performer rpm or weiand action plus series intake, q-jet, 700-r4, 3.23-3.42 gears. thanks for any tips or advice.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What type of "stock" heads? You might need to go a little better in the head department to take advantage of the intake and cam you're planning to use if you want to build torque.
Many a bit more information on what you want to accomplish would help.
Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i will shoot for a bit of porting, but i can't afford a set of good heads, that's why im going with stock heads.probabally 72cc chambers, maybe have the decks shaved. i will have roller rocker arms (1.5:1) and afterburner turbo chamber headers, hei distributor. this cam is designed for 4x4s, and will be daily driven, with seldom (if ever) track use. thats about all i can say without getting into details. thanks again.

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you shop around, you could probably find a good set of Vortec heads for about what you would pay to have the stock 400 heads redone and you would have much better power to go with it. You just need to have (or do it yourself) the steam holes drilled in the heads and the intake to match up to the heads.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would ask what porting would cost versus new heads. I am at this stage of a 406 build myself, and I have discovered that ported cast iron heads are less expensive where I buy. If I am not mistaken, 72 cc heads wil yield about 8.5:1 compression. You may wish to look at perhaps a 69 or 64 cc head. I asked about the comparison between ported iron/stock heads and aftermarket heads in another post as I also need some advice on purchasing the right heads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts