Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a Flowmaster American Thunder on my vert and it will all fit if I lower the x brace but how can I shim it down and still have it do what its supposed to? I plan on using grade 8 bolts and grade 8 shims.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
stenn5;

I have spaced then down @1/2~3/4" to clear systems and have had no major problem.
If your car is lowered quite a lot you may run into some minor scraping over speed bumps, etc.
The use of good fasteners, as you mentioned, is very important.
I made the shims I used from 3/4" Stainless bar stock so I didn't have to deal with a whole stack of washers. I first held the X-brace up with a couple bolts to see how much clearance I really needed and then cut the shims to the necessary length.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vintage 68,
I'm home now and I ended up going about 2 inches in front a inch in the middle and no shims in back. I used grade 8 bolts and washers for now untill I see if that will work. What do you think?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
216 Posts
This may be of some help. American Thunder system with 2.5 inch pipe in a 69 Camaro vert.

bob

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob,
How far did you shim it out? Mine loos the same but I had to go about 2 inches in front, 1 inche in the center and just 1 shim on the end?
Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Stenn:

Boy - if your car is lowered ya better watch out for the "Yoke Guard" (never really did know why the brace is designed with that big 'drop pan' in it?) over Speed Bumps!
They have 'Repops' of the X-brace now - so if you wanted to try to modify one by removing some or all of the 'drop pan' area to increase ground clearance that might be the way to go.
Don't really know any other way around shimming it down except for a really 'trick' one I saw on a car years ago. The owner fabricated one out of square stock (rails) and tubing that cleared the driveline and tailpipes and looked ultra trick. May be the only other way you can go if the stock brace gets in the way of the ground.

·
Registered
216 Posts
stenn,

about one half to three quarters of an inch all the way around

bob

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bob,
Do you think a 1-1/2 is to much? I might be closer to 2 inches but that was the only way I could do. I'm thinking of Global West sub connectors.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
stenn;
If I may - you will notice Bob has the Sub-frame Connectors and the X-brace.
The x-brace is needed to reduce 'Torsional' movement in Rag-tops.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vintage 68, Yes I noticed them I realize what the X brace is for but my question is will my having shimed them so far did I loose there ability to suppress the diagonal/torsianl flex? I plan on getting a set of coonectors from Global West ASAP but that wont be till next week I hope, and want to run the car thiss weekend. Any thoughts?
Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid to try driving it with the brace shimmed down that far, but it seems to me that there should be a better alternative. I know that there is room for 2 1/2" pipes to fit without shimming the brace down, but without a crossover, as I have that on my convert. Is there absolutely no way to make that system fit?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I agree with BPOS - you can go ahead and run your car, should be just fine.
The X-brace doesn't get rid of 'all' the flex and twist in the body - just quite a bit of it.
I have seen a couple 2.5" systems that the owners went to a lot of time and trouble to fit the pipes, with cutting and bending, tucked up into the tunnel enough that the X-brace fits without spacers. While this would be idea - it would cost a bit more to get it done.
I haven't seen were a little bit of spacing on the X-brace did any harm or allowed much more flex in the body. I looked for signs of movement (such as wear marks in the paint around the spacers, etc..) after a couple months and didn't see any.
Ragtops are gonna flex - period. We are just trying to keep it to a min. if we can.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, I didcovered after the fact that there was not a crossover tube on Bobs car, I left mine in but now I wished I didnt. I do a lot of fab work at work maybe I can build a better mousetrap and use it for the x brace. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
216 Posts
Stenn,

I have DS&E weld in SFC's and DS&E solid body bushings and my car does not flex very much at all (if any). You can build a tight droptop if you are willing to invest the money. The guy who put my exhaust system in told me it did take quite a bit of massaging with the pipes to get them to fit as well as they did but it is worth it. I have no ground clearance problems at all.

good luck

bob spears

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.