Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have accepted the fact that I only have 292 RWP at 5,000RPM or so, how fast will my 67 go? :) I have about 280 or so RW Torque as well. I have a 700R4 with a shift kit and 3,000 stall, 3.73 Posi rear with 275/40/17 Nitto's. It is basically a stock suspension with the addition of a few extra leaf springs. I have AC and power steering as well. What will I do 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile with this setup? Thanks again, DeAngelo

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
ya know, I love guessing at ET's. I'm better at sportbikes though. :)

Anyway, you get my vote for 13.4 @ 104mph.

Make sure you post back up when you get to the strip!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
My car, with very close to the same engine, tko500, and 3.08 open on street tires, went a best of 14.3 @ 98 on my only time with her at the strip. Traction was non-existant.

This year, with posi and slide a links, I'm hoping to cut at least a second off that. She should run 13 flat if I can work that clutch properly.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point. I plan to use a G Force meter to get some results. When I do, I will post them. Thanks for the feedback! I want to be able to smoke a rice burner and blow the doors off of a Mustang GT! :)

·
20,016 Posts
292rwhp ??? my guess is 13.6 @ 101 :D hurry up and get some numbers.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
With the 383 you have you should easily run 12.60's @ 108 unless you have a particularly slippery track or a heavy car.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I would say 13.0-12.7 range as it sits with traction. I am surprised that your 383 made 292rwhp but only 280rwtq. I can see the HP numbers but your torque should be around 350-370 to the wheels. That 3000 stall should really flash up and give some good torque numbers. What size 10" or 11" converter do you have in it?? Whats the brand??

My old 350 with a very similar build to yours made 275rwhp and 280rwtq. This was with a terrible 10 to 1 af ratio. The car also only had a 2000 stall in it. Your motor should make way more torque than it did.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
With the 383 you have you should easily run 12.60's @ 108 unless you have a particularly slippery track or a heavy car.
I wish... my last camaro, with a 400, t350, and open 3.73's ran very low 13's @ 108 without traction. THIS CAR had better be able to do that. Hoping some traction will help, but wondering why my mph was so low (98)

·
Registered
273 Posts
108 trap speed will get you deep into the 12's if you get some traction so you can get it through the first 60ft quickly.
my first pass ever was 16.4 @110 hahaha, spinning like a retard, took awhile to figure out how to drive it(stick) and that it was useless without at least drag radials if not slicks.
goodluck and have fun at the track!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent points. And I thought that I would have more rear wheel torque as well. That is why I posted in the Performance section asking if the numbers were right. The consensus was that the low numbers were to be expected with AC, power steering, a 700R4 and a posi. I was very disappointed with those rear wheel numbers though. It is pretty fast though. And the tires are not drag radials. They will be the 555's which are traditional radials. I just want to be able to outrun a Mustang GT although I don't street race. I just like knowing!!! My AF ratio was 13 to 14 and back down to 13. I dunno if that is good or if I can change the jets to make more power. I am carb illiterate. I may take it to another dyno shop for some tuning and advice. I wasn't too happy with the current engine shop overall. And 6D9, I have a TCI 10 inch converter that is supposed to be a 3000 stall. And yes, I would LOVE to be faster! I need a turbo or supercharger now! :)

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
For reference, I have a 3600lb car (no driver) with a good 3.76 gear and 5 speed automatic. RWHP is about 240 and it has a 3000 stall convertor.

Perfect traction off the line gives me a 13.98 - 14.02 at 98mph.
A convertor with good stall will always improve ET at the expense of a mph or two at the trap-speed. Plain physics.

You'll have about 50 more rwhp so gauge accordingly!

Have fun!! :) How can ya not have fun at the track!!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
With you power and street tires I would say @ 13.2-13.5. With the mph in the 98-101 range. Don't be surprised though if your first time stops the clocks at 14+. Just ask JimM.:p It takes some trial and error to find out what you car with that particular set-up and track conditions all need to work best. The plus side is slower cars are easier to figure out and not as finicky. Be patient and just have fun with it.

·
20,016 Posts
Spinning off the line ups your MPH, so I couldn't really go by MPH.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The 406 which I have in my 68 Firebird which is not yet finished was in my previous car , a 67 Pontiac Parisienne which weighed in at 4400 pounds , had a 2200 stall & 3.55 open centre & was making around the same power as you are was running a 13.4 @ 104MPH with a 2.2 second 60 foot time.

I am running a 3000 stall , turbo 400 & 12 bolt 3.73 posi with the same 406 in my new car & hoping it will run in the low to mid 12's & I dont see that you wont be able to either provided you get some traction. With my old car I just had to drive it off the line normal as with the open centre any stall would just cause it to spin.

I am going to see how this new car goes & I will be on holidays in the US later on in the year & plan on buying a set of Cal Tracks as they seem to be about the best traction aids around.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great points, Scotty, Harley and BA. I will find out at some point. Of course, I have street tires and not drag radials. I would have used my G Meter if my car didn't have to go back to get the darned oil leak fix. Keep ya posted. DeAngelo

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Can you pull your A/C ,ALT,and P/S belts off or are you serpentine?
My guess is low 13s if you can pull those belts, and if your car isn't heavy.
Just turning the belt, even if the a/c etcetera is off slows the crankshaft.
I have a buddy w/ a gutted Nova and similar 383 but you have better heads than him, he ran 12.80's like clockwork. He had 1 3/4 headers and slicks though.
Tim
77 Camaro 412 SBC no juice 10.85/126 mph

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the feedback, Tim. I have a regular belted system but I am not running at the track. It is purely street. I would be OK with low 13's. I was hoping for 12's but traction is an issue on street tires. I am getting a set of Nitto 555's (275/40/17 rear if they fit). Thanks again, DeAngelo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts