Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to have your first accident after getting your drivers license? My wifes oldest son (almost 21 going on 13 :sad: ) made it all of 29 days. Seems he made a right turn (heading south) out of a side street onto a 4 lane road, went past both of the southbound lanes and got completely into the 3rd lane (inside northbound lane). A woman with her young daughter and 6 month old baby hit him head on in a Tahoe. She tried jerking over to the outside northbound lane to avoid him, which made her drivers side front corner hit dead center in Kyles little Saturn. Fortunately it was in town so the collision speed wasn't too fast (maybe 50mph), and the woman and her family came out without a scratch, but Kyles car looks like he hit a light pole dead center, and his face hurts from the airbag. The car is pretty much totalled...tranny case is busted, as is everything forward from there, the hood, and the drivers side fender.
He's ok, other than now being on foot and about $2000 in debt (trip to the emergency room for an exam and about $500 worth of tickets).

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I had my first accident while driving on my permit, at 15. Brakes went out in my Ma's 70 Ford "Country Sedan" wagon. I managed to put the beast up against the curb and scrub off enough speed that it was just a tap. No tickets were issued.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Brake failure and head on collision...in a Jeep,and it didnt roll over thank God!...I was 16yrs/6mo...tell you how youth helps, I was doing about 40 ,slowed it down as much as I could with gears...but police said closing impact speed was about 60mph,no seat belt,knocked the rear view off with my forehead,drivers side tire was touching the firewall...and I walked away with sore knees and forehead,otherwise Okay...my wife believes differently

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I've been driving for 24 years and no accidents or insurance claims yet. I did crease the passenger door when trying to park in a tight spot on soft ground. Lessen learned with that move(21 years ago) and nothing since then. People don't pay attention when they drive and these cell phones and modern gadgets make it worse.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well, everyone get out a tissue. Bought my first 69 camaro when I was 14 worked on it until I turned 16. New paint , new carpet,cleaned and detailed.350 ,4spd car with E/T slotted mags, you know the look.About 3mos later while showing off to my girlfriend (reads wife of 24 yrs),I put it in a ditch so deep on it's side all you could see from street level was the white letter tires on the right side. Now the rest of the story. Put it back together agian,and within the year ,I totaled it on the way to work early one morning. A 68 bel-air 4dr w/6 people in it pulled out from a side street (i was doing about 70) turned hard to miss them and took out 3 trees w/passenger side. they never even slowed down. Thats been 28 years and I'm still ticked -off :mad:

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
19, had been riding bikes for 4yrs before...was fooling around on isolated back roads in a '61 Truimph herald....fliped it ...cut on the back of my hand...no seat beats etc in those days...
Since then had 3 very minor and stupid acidents (40 odd yrs) all because others fault in the opinion of insurance and cops...
Our children...ranging from 17 to 22...havnt had one...
The philosphy was drumed into them from very young
1/if you have and accident be it your 'fault or not' is your fault because you where not paying attention, didnt have a constant 'out', going to fast, or to close.
2/When behind the wheel is like being the pilot of a 747...you are the captain, you are fully responable for your passengers and those around you...responabilty is a priveledge, enjoy it, treasure it.
3/ racing is real fun on a track...everyone is going in the same direction, there are marshals around the track to stop others not to cross it, and the car is built so u can go hard out, crash and walk away...no fear.
4/ All our children had to buy their own cars...earn the privledge...when temped to do something stupid, think about what it will be like with no car, and how hard you worked to get it.
5/ over 80% of accidents happen at and interesection or cnr...Also over 80% happen within a 10 mile radius of home (familarity breeds comtempt)
So play the odds and always be extra vileigent in these places
6/Treat every one else on the road as and idiot...If you know that before hand, when they do stupid things, you dont get upset...many accidents happen because some one else does something stupid, then the driver (you) swear curse, get distracted and causes errors...just move on to the next idiot..dont dwell.

I believe the trouble with young drivers is 'education' on the roads starts too late in the home, it should start from day one.

·
19,998 Posts
I was 16 and had my license for 3 days before my first accident, in my fathers truck :sad:

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I was 17 and I pulled into the yard of my Dads shop and punched it to be 'cool' and make my Dad shake his head at me, yep, I lost it and ended up hitting my Dads heavy equipment hauler, the Lowboy that was tied to a Mack truck. The truck didnt move. My Dad shook his head. LOL. Got a new fender and bumper and repaired it myself. Good times....especially in the Ol' 69 Chevy...(sigh)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Nice Stories !!

I was 18 .. has been driving since I was 16.. This friend of mine wanted to race me after school " like [email protected]*** " I said " OK " I won but I could'nt stop in time and I made love to the Rear of a Mazda B2200 pick up truck . 14 yrs later and many tickets later , But I am a very safe driver now and No accidents " thank god ! " ............... Knock on Wood !

Rob.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
3 months, I was 16. Head on collsion with my parents Caprice wagon and a firebird. The firebird was traveling at a high rate, I was not. Spun me 180 degrees and back about 100 feet. The woman in the firebird went into the windshield and was draped over the steering wheel. I thought we was dead. I was quite relieved when I was able to get her to respond. She never saw me, her passenger seat was piled to the roof with Christmas presents and she had limited visibility. Totalled both cars.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Codi my insurance carrier says that it definitely counts!

·
Registered
662 Posts
actually got my first wreck before I got my drivers license. I had a restricted license when I was 15, hit a telephone pole.....Dad was hot!! My only accident, well, almost..............;(

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
i turn 51 this year and have been driving since i was 15. no tickets, no accidents, a couple of warnings for speed but that's all folks!!

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
It was Halloween night 1972. I had just turned 16 three weeks earlier and I had a car full of kids. I was coming up to a stop sign when my car was hit with eggs. Now that car was my pride and joy, a black 1964 Impala SS with a 300hp 327 with a factory 4-speed, and it was under attack! Trying to escape the eggs I pulled into the intersection right in front of an old man in a Ford Falcon pickup. He hit my right front fender just in front of the wheel. Thankfully he was not traveling very fast and no one was hurt. The Impala also survived.

Fast forward to April 2006. My 16 year old son is coming home from his friends house in my wife’s GMC Yukon. He runs off the road in a corner, overcorrects, and rolls it. He had had his license only 3 months. He was by himself and wasn’t hurt. The Yukon also survived.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
i turn 51 this year and have been driving since i was 15. no tickets, no accidents, a couple of warnings for speed but that's all folks!!
You haven't had any fun at all !!!!;)

My dad wouldn't let me have a car until I was 18, so my first vehicle was a motorcycle. I didn't have any accidents, but I had my license suspended within 30 days of getting it...:D I was really looking forward to turning 18 and having the "record' erased and starting over. Unfortunately, it went from bad to worse....:sad:

·
Registered
301 Posts
well.....i've been lucky. i have had a bunch of close calls but avoided them all. :beers: i've got to worry about the other idiots on the road!~

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I had my license for about 8 days when I entered a turn too fast in my father's shiny 1972 Dodge Dart. Car did a 180, hit the edge of the pavement, and almost flipped over. When it came to a stop I was on my hands and knees on the front seat looking out the passenger window. Suddenly the passenger door flew open and a very angry man was in my face yelling about how he should tear me apart for driving recklessly. I just about pooped my pants. Had to call my father to come get me as the car wouldn't drive so good anymore.

Needless to say I was grounded from driving for 6 months. My father wouldn't let me get my own car until I was 18 because he didn't want me sharing his insurance policy. Just as well because as soon as I turned 18 I bought a 68 Firebird. Less than 2 weeks later I planted it into the rear of a big ole Ford and totaled it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts