Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reason I ask is because I bought a brand new battery last year (or the year before, I can't exactly remember), and its starting to act really strange like it doesnt want to hold a full charge anymore. Is it time to change it already? :confused:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry...Thanks!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Seemed like every year and every Spring/Summer for me with those Kragon batteries.
every time I had them check my charging circuit as well. It was charging acording to their electrical checking gizmo.
The only addition I had to the electrical circuit was a not too powerfull 75W stereo system.
Well, all that's in the process of change now.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one I have is a very inexpensive one from ValueCraft :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
The one I have is a very inexpensive one from ValueCraft :eek:
There ya go........2 years is about it....:sad: The other thing to consider is how often the vehicle is driven to recharge it. You may want to get a trickle or keep charged automatic charger for it. The charger will maintain the battery when the vehicle isn't used for extended periods.
I've been down the cheap battery road too and it just isn't worth it in the long run. I wasn't paying as much up front, but I was buying twice as many over time...:noway: I got tired of the aggravation of always buying a battery for something around here and now just get good ones.;)

The wifes battery just up and died Monday night in her Passat. It was 6 years old. I took it out, went to VW and plunked down the $100.00 for another original. 100.00 divided by 6 = $17.00 year. That, to me, is cheap piece of mind...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Between cars, trucks, and farm equipment I have eight batteries, six of them with top posts. Whenever a tractor or spray rig battery goes bad I pull the battery out of the Camaro to get the farm equipment going. Then the Camaro gets a new battery. This way the Camaro never has a battery older than one year. I have been doing this for years because a new battery is not only more reliable but also gives off less corrosive gas than an old one. I always buy top of the line Batteries and they last me 4-5 years.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I agree with Steve :thumbsup:
I play the 'Battery Roulet' game all the time ...
The wifes car gets the newest one - the other (less important vehicles) get the hand-me-downs as they need accourding to age.
I've bought two so far this year.
I think of them like 'MD' does - life of part/divided by price = the cost per cycle to me also - most of these service items are dirt cheap, when this is taken into account.
A $100 battery is MUCH cheaper than any $50 battery when it will last 3~4 times longer ...

JMHO

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Between cars, trucks, and farm equipment I have eight batteries, six of them with top posts. Whenever a tractor or spray rig battery goes bad I pull the battery out of the Camaro to get the farm equipment going. Then the Camaro gets a new battery. This way the Camaro never has a battery older than one year. I have been doing this for years because a new battery is not only more reliable but also gives off less corrosive gas than an old one. I always buy top of the line Batteries and they last me 4-5 years.
I know what you mean about the never ending battery buying, Steve. I have 2 semi's that take 4 EACH, plus my boat, forklift, 2 daily drivers, lawn tractor, 3 vintage vehicles and a generator...I'm juggling 17 batteries here...that's why I don't buy the cheap stuff anymore.....I change enough as it is....:yes:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought an Optima about two years ago, and it's still going strong. Sure, it needs a little recharging every three weeks during times of non-use, but I haven't had to replace it like I had to with the Kragen batteries.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Optima in my Vintage Race Shelby GT350 is 9 years old and the original Motorcraft batteries in my diesel truck lasted 12 1/2 years. Yes, I religously check the water and make sure the batteries stay charged.

Most batteries die because of a bad charging system or neglect.

·
Registered
518 Posts
True average life of a battery according to Exide was about 4 years at least when I worked for Kragen a while back. Kragen carries a different brand now but that seems about right. If you live in a warmer or colder climate or abuse your batteries in any way that life goes down.

The best battery is Optima IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts