Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of restoring a '68 camaro coupe and I was just wondering how much time it took to finish your cars. I realize these projects can go on till the end of time, but I'm basically looking for an average from strip down to being able to drive the damn thing. I think mine will take about a year now that I have the thing stripped and gutted. I just need to keep working on it as much as I can. My engine is good, I just need a timing gear set and a set of rocker arm push rods. I need an M20, bucket seats, and a SS hood. Oh yeah, and everything has to be sand blasted and painted.... Hahaahaahaa, it's gonna take forever... check my car's current status by clicking the link in my signiture. Thanks, this should be a funny post.

------------------
1968 Coupe, 327/210hp project in process.
PS/PB, Factory AC

·
Registered
120 Posts
I took my ’69 Z28 apart over 20 years ago and then lost interest in the project. I started working on it again around July ’99, just yesterday I took it for its first drive out on city streets. It started out as a 5 minute run around the block but lasted 2 1/2 hours...I just couldn’t get myself to stop and the car was running so good. Besides I was having a BLAST! Still have to finish the interior though.
Al.

------------------
'69 Z28 (X77 D80 72 72)
302, GM Crossram, Doug Nash 5 speed, 3.42's
Body Engine1 Engine2

·
Registered
57 Posts
I too am restoring a 68 Coupe (frame off) and began the project on or around July 1, 2001. As of now the car is in the process of being painted. This car was in rough shape. It needed new floors, new trunk floor, quarters, fenders and major repair work around the windshield and rear window. There were many other little cracks or holes that also needed to be repaired. Knowing what I know now I would not have done all this work or had it done as I am useless with a tool in my hand.

In any event the car now looks fantastic and is straight and smooth and will look awesome with the Kandy Apple Red and black stripes we are putting on it.

From what I have seen with the other cars in the shop being restored it is close to a one year project. Mine will be done in six months from start to finish assuming we really paint it by months end. From there the mechanicals are not a problem. I just have to send the car to the trim shop for the finishing touches. Seats are already done, just waiting on the paint and mechanicals.

The help on this site is tremendous. John and Royce thanks so much. Looking forward to posting the pics when complete.

Bottom line is a 6 to 12 month sentence.

Good luck.

Ken

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got about 3.5 years into mine. Did about 2 solid years of something every weekend. Big projects are the hardest as the car is down so long. I lucked out with the paint and body work (only in the shop for about 3 months - some cars go into a body shop black hole for a good year or more). Now I mostly pick a couple of thing to do over the winter when not so hot in Houston. I basically look at it like the car will never be done. All it takes is a good car show, and you come home with 5 more things to eventually get to. It more of a journey than a destination!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
In Feb. 2002 mine will have been apart 5 years. Bodywork and painting have been the problem. The primer blocking was being done this weekend. Maybe in a month it will be painted. Don't give up, it will happen.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Al,
Your car is "Very Sweet!" What color of Orange is it? Nice Engine compartment!

My 67 has been apart for 8 years now and has been moved 4 times in this period. All I do is little things and I just keep buying parts. I have a written plan that I did 8 1/2 years ago and I have pretty much stuck to it for what I want this car to be (11.90 sec. street driven to and from cruiser). I had alittle set back 2 years ago with alot of my tools and all of my engine being stolen but I am recovering from that now.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I started mine two years ago, I estimated it would take me about a year. If I would have stuck to my original plan, it would have been completed in about 13 months. Then I found this site... Now I have converted to front disc, replaced my original suspension with Hotchkis/PST/Bilstein parts, stroked the motor to 383, and am currently installing the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system. Now all I need is that Tremec 5-speed I've been reading about to finish it off. I busted my butt to try to have it done this summer and had to stop myself from taking shortcuts just to finish it up. Now I'm looking to be completed by Spring. Just remember to be patient, It will be worth it in the end!

------------------
69 Base Model, Custom Viper Red Paint, 383 Stroker, Turbo 350, Standard Black Interior w/ Console & Guage Package, Cowl Hood, Front Disc.

[This message has been edited by james_s (edited 11-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeh know I restored all the ones listed below I,ve had the 70 1/2 Z28 for 29 years frame off and almost everything but I just keep using it and have not finished the dash or door panel yet. So when are you done?

------------------
Barry
70 1/2 RS Z-28
69 Z-28 Crossram
69 RS SS 396 Convert
69 RS ProStreet 638 G.M.
70 LS6 Chevelle

·
15,370 Posts
Hmmmm.... they're never 'done' unless you bought it that way.
I'm going into my 4th year and have just this month started putting metal back ON the car as opposed to stripping, grinding, cutting and sanding. If things work out, the body/frames will be done this Winter. The only time I didn't work on it at all was during the Summer. If it see's the driveway on it's own wheels again by 2003, I'll be amazed!

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
[email protected]
[email protected]
'69 wallet crusher
'97 Blazer - Bad wheel hop!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just started into my third year on my '68 Z/28. Mine has been seriously delayed by the body work, there's always more to do than the outside shows you. I have all the panels replaced and the first coat of paint on the outside.
The subframe, engine, differential and transmission are all complete. I am hoping to get the painted body back as a nice Christmas present, but we'll have to wait and see.

I saved money for 11 years getting ready to do this and I am glad I had that taken care of first! This whole deal has taught me a lot about patience and perseverance.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'm at 3-1/2 years, and it goes for doghouse assembly and paint, this week That'll take 3-4 months. Then it'll take several months to put the rest of it back together.
I'm still holding out hope that I drive it this spring/early summer.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
mine is a driver, so it is hard to do big jobs on the car... I have had it for about 5 years now and it is nowhere near done. Probably never will be.
www.geocities.com/boodlefoof
John

·
11,294 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
It took me about 14 months until i could drive my 71 around the sub.Still have to install glass and color sand.I worked most weeks 7 days and hit it real hard on the weekends,up to 30 hours just on the weekends.Did all the body and paint myself.New engine and trans.I would say 2 years if you don't want to kill yourself.

Brian.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts