Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dream of the day when I can take the top down on my 67 convert, 75 degrees outside and a beautiful candy apple red paint job shinning in the sun. How far away am I? Can anyone tell me how long it took them to finish their car? I understand that a car is probably never really finished. My 67 was purchased last nov. My first one ever in very average shape! So far I have a new suspension, new brake system, rebuilt the powerglide, new bumpers and some other "Nice" stuff. I would like to have the entire car finished yesterday. I see pictures of other camaros on this site and am amazed at how nice they are.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Sounds like you are moving at a pretty quick pace to me.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I think you're making good progress, don't be discouraged. I've had mine over a year, and it's mechanically in good shape, but still a long way to go on the body work. Progress to me is being able to say it's all in one shade of primer! Check it:
http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/primer1.jpg

[This message has been edited by kz1000ltd (edited 03-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Good things come to those that wait. Rome wasnt built in a day. Haste makes waste.

Who ever is working on your car, let them work on it with out you hovering over there shoulder every several weeks. I personally, when Im doing a resto or a complete strip and paint, I dont like to be rushed. Ive taken 6 months or more to do a car. Ive been working on my Camaro for allmost 7 yrs. now.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Alot depends on where you are starting from but my opinion is it takes a good YEAR of INTENSE work to get your car where you want it. Alot also depends on whether or not you need body or paint work (3 month min. here), machine work (1 month min. here)., powdercoating (2-3 week min.) and so on.

It takes of course MUCH more time if you plan on doing the majority of the work on your own in your spare time. My suggestion is to if you can leave the car drivable so that in between all of this work you can keep your enthusiam up for your restoration by driving around in your ride occassionally.

Another thing to remember is that it will take you much LESS time to complete your project if you learn from other people's mistakes and avoid doing the same thing two or three times over. This is precisely where CAMAROS.NET and your more experienced HOT ROD friends cn help out.

All you have to do is ask!!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sr71 has a good point to get your car driveable and do the the rest in stages. Its VERY easy to lose momentum when it seems the car will never leave the garage.

It took me years to get most of the stuff done on my 69 convert.
Of course its never truly finished. Let's see, rear end, brakes, new heads on the 383...

You seem to me moving pretty quickly. It will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It took me about two years to do bodywork, (rear quarters, fenders, shaved handles, & color change) new motor, (383 w/ Edelbrock system) new trans, new rear end, new front suspension, new brakes, & color change interior. I have a great advantage being a teacher.....the summer is free for non stop work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts