Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
My guess would be almost all of them. Almost every week someone with a 69 RS/Z asks how many were made. I am begining to think a non RS/Z is rarer!! Combinations of options were not kept as far as production figures. You can come up with a guesstimate by figuring the number of RS cars and Z cars and do a percentage thing but to me its way unaccurate so useless. IMPOSSIBLE to come up with a exact figure. But from how many times that exact question gets asked I would guess its not very rare at all

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just because a question has been asked a few times there's no need to get sarcastic,give the new guy here a break! If the guy was asking a 68 SS 396 question would you answer it the same?(probably not).I take it 69 Z's aren't your favorite car,thats OK,just choose not to answer the question.
68 SS is correct in his answer,it would only be a guess as to how many of these cars were built.I would guess less than 6000 RS Z-28's were built in 69. How rare this is depends what you consider rare.I really don't care how many were made I just like the 69 Z-28 R/S,and yes they are rarer than a non R/S model. Thanks for the interest in my favorite car. Cary

------------------
69 Z-28 R/S:Daytona Yellow,X33,DZ302,M21,4.10 Posi,Dlx interior,8k tach,console and guages,wood wheel and dash,ZL2 hood,endura bumper,30300 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to upset you SS396, I have been looking on here for about a month now and
have not seen this question asked.
I thought that maybe someone had a definite concrete answer, I didn't know that it was a mystery. My 69 RS/Z28 also has a factory special ducted hood, and I happen to know that is a rare thing.
Thanks for the reply Cary, glad to see someone trying to be helpful!
Jason

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
There are no records of option combinations. Just the # produced of a specific option. Your question is a very common type of question and there do seem to be a lot of RS/Z28's. If your cowl hood is original, then it is somewhat rare, roughly 25% of 69 Z28's made had it. There could be as many as 5-6000 69 Z28's equipped like your car. I doubt the real number would be that high, but it's possible.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram

·
Registered
16 Posts
Camaro 1967-1977 Model-year production
1969-total produced,243,095,domestic,230,779,
export,12,316,Rally Sport 37,773,SS 33,980,
Z-28 19,014, V-8 178,087, 6cyl 65,008,3spd
72,395, 4spd 50,128, auto-trans 120,572, w/air 37,878, power steering 120,060,
power windows 2,913.RPO Z11,Camaro SS/RS
Camaro SS RPO Z27 with Rally Sport equipment
RPO Z22.This is from mid season change no.
13,dated Feb.4,1969,there is no mention of
a 69 RS/Z28.If anyone has one it is probably
extremly rare.I got all this by calling
1-800-222-1020 the Chevy Customer Assistance
Center and telling them I'am restoring a 69
Camaro,which I'am,a 69 SS.It's free too.
According to Chevy RS or SS could be upgraded
to Z28 through options,but an unknown amount
of prototypes of all cars are built.I'm hooked on Camaros,restored,78,79,bought new
25th Ann.92 purple(1st year for purple),and
the latest 69 which will never be sold like
the others,wish I still had the 79 now,
they would have made a great pair.Please tell
me more about the RS/Z28s.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ok tone is hard to see in letters. If I was really being sarcastic I would have stopped after my first three sentences. But I gave him almost the same info as you guys. I tried to help by telling him there was no way to tell how many which is the same as you did.
You know mx321, you give me a hard time then say that I'm correct. You didn't give any more info than I so you must have replied just to give me a hard time? Its obvious its your favorite car so maybe you need to relax because not everyone bows to the RS/Z questions.
Gambitt, the response wasn't meant to be sarcastic but it does get asked alot. Of course you being new here wouldn't know that. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. With all the registries out there keeping track of cars when they are found and more and more people getting interested in facts and history maybe a better answer can be given at a later time. A exact number would be impossible but maybe a closer percentage could be had

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't want any hard feelings over this issue. I think any question deserves a respectful answer. I think the "bow down" comment was a low blow. I didn't see anything in the question about "bow down",maybe I misread it? I appoligize for any comments I made that would give that impression. Cary

------------------
69 Z-28 R/S
aytona Yellow,X33,DZ302,M21,4.10 Posi,Dlx interior,8k tach,console and guages,wood wheel and dash,ZL2 ducted hood,endura bumper,30300 miles.

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited 10-05-2000).]

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think a very valid point was made here. Aren't all Camaros Z-28's or RS's? How many of these cars are pushed as something they really are not. Change a motor, a few badges and presto, you got a Z!

So, when people ask how many of them were made, it just seems like all of them.

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not sure what point was made other than no official numbers were kept by G.M. when the R/S option was ordered along with a major option such as S/S or Z-28. Any camaro could be ordered with the R/S option (6 cylinder to COPO 427's),it was just an option the same as the ZL-2 ducted hood that was pretty rare but has been installed on many first gen. Camaros since.
It's true you can add emblems and change motors to "make" a car something it isn't but I don't think that's what was being implied when 68 S/S stated that most all of the 69 Z-28's were R/S'S. I think he was saying in his opinion they aren't very rare. That's OK it's his opinion. Cary

------------------
69 Z-28 R/S:Daytona Yellow,X33,DZ302,M21,4.10 Posi,Dlx interior,8k tach,console and guages,wood wheel and dash,ZL2 ducted hood,endura bumper,30300 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Changing a few emblems and the motor does not make a car something it never was. If a car came from the factory as a Z, SS, or RS, it will always be one of these, weather someone tries to make it different or not. I have seen countless 69 Z28 copies, but usually a quick look at the front brakes let you know very quicky if it is a fake or not. My point is, there are a lot of factors that determine a cars originality, not just an emblem on the grill. Cowl tags and determining characteristics are the best thing to go by.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I'll admit that I had the Z28 stripes put on my first car(69 convertible) and you should have seen the number of people that thought it was a real Z28 convertible! I didn't even have the Z28 emblems. My point is, that a lot of people like the look of the Z28 and when it comes time to repaint, they add the stripes, then the emblems. There are people building replica's to try and sell them as real so they can make a buck, but the 69 Z28 is probably the most copied car ever made. So while it looks like Chevrolet made 50,000 RS/Z28's in 69, the real number is most likely less than 4000.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
GM build numbers show....

Z/28 optioned cars (1969) - 20,302 built at an option price of around $460 (changed several times through the year).
RS optioned cars (1969) - 37,773 built at an option price of $131.65

Using the fact that around 242,000 1969 Camaros were built...you could use the %'s to roughly figure out how many RS/Z's were built.

Steve

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 9/1/00)

[This message has been edited by mccorry (edited 10-07-2000).]

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
My .02 cents worth,

I saw a 210hp 327/powerglide el cheapo model with a stock steel cowl induction hood on it. It shocked the heck out of me. It had to be stock, because like this was 1971-2ish.
I think the car was for sale for something like 750-1000 bucks.

It was painted marina blue, you don't know how much I wanted to trade my SS hood for it. I wouldn't even have to touch it to match my car back then. pdq67

1 - 14 of 14 Posts