Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
adding vintage air system, gear vendors overdrive (ie electric shift) and hid lights to 68 camaro. How many amp alternator will i need?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
around the 110a rating ..minimum?..factory was what 49-60a?
My 69 has pw/pdl/cruise/AC/dse headlights/cd/nav/dse wipers and i run 160a in mine..

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
From memory the fact a/c had a rated 64 amp
Which could/should have been a little higher, does do the job with std lights, sterio etc

If have or intend to add a bigger sterio, self locking doors, alarms and other goodies definately go to the 105....go to it anyway is the best recommendation.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Tad,

I am not sure how "correct" you need the alternator to be. Is just a DL style enough or does it have to have matching numbers?

I converted to a 12si which I assume you cannot do. I mention that because I had bought one of these last year: http://storesense1.mysuperpageshosting.com/HS13162/Detail.bok?no=745

After the 12si conversion I don't need it any more and will sell it on the cheap if you are intereted. It bolts right up to the factory harness and has about 200 miles on it. I can PM you pictures if you want.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Most alternator rebuild shops can change the brushes and amps to boost up to 110...another words redo the internals..
But if you are adding the above(ac and gear drive) just change the alt to a csi..

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Tad,

DL is the 'type' of alternator used in the 60's. They have external regulators.

The "SI" series is the next generation alternator that started in the mid 70s. The 10SI was first and typically came in 64 amp. The 12 SI was the next generation and has 78 or 94 amps. These have an internal regulator and require modification to your existing harness. If you are doing a factory type restoration you probably don't want to convert to an SI series. If factory appearance is not a problem then go for it.

The biggest advantage of the SI alternators is the output at low RPMs. A DL style will put out about 8 amps at idle where an SI will put out 35 or more. the SI is up to full output at about 1800 RPM where the DL requires significantly more.

If you want to learn more, go here: http://madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
What is csi?
csi is the brand alt and staters.. ill see if i can find you a link..its kinda like the torquemaster brand line..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like the 12si is the way to go. Do I go with a one wire setup? What is a good price ? Just to make sure my local shop isnt to high.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Don't go with a one wire. Three wire is the way to go. Another good read on the topic here. http://madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

Go to AutoZone and get a DL7127. I think you can ask for a 1978 Camaro, 350 with air. $47.99 after exchange and has a lifetime warranty. This is the 78 amp piece which I believe will be fine for yours. The guy at MAD runs that one with AC, 4 cooling fans and some other stuff with no problem.

If you want 94 amp the MAD electrical site tells what to ask for at the parts counter for that one.

The MAD site also sells a conversion kit or you can piece it together yourself.

Google "12si wiring" and you will see several options as well. I'd love to sell you my old alternator but going to the 12SI is definitely the better option if you don't mind moving away from factory appearance.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Steptoe
Do you mean finding a 110 amp alt and using my case?
Yes....if want to keep orgingal case for appearances..
The larger ones are later models, I put 87 or 92 ??? cant rem but wasnt the 105 amp, internals inside mine back in the early 80s.
A jumper loop wire on the back to make the feilds live, use only the main batt feed and 1 other wire and disconect the regualtor..since it is internally regulated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts