Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm using a new alternator and adding Vintage Air and dual eFans, I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to add one of these or another alternative unit. Just curious as to what others have done.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I have one on each side. Pass side feeds fan relays. Drive side headlight relays
Also one on firewall that feeds the fuse box and then back to the trunk mounted battery.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking of ordering one of MADs multi-position BUS's, but is there anything you guys like better? Also, somewhat related, I was going to order the American Autowire Alternator kit pictured below since I have to reqire. The alternator is now on the opposite side, plus its a 153 AMP Powermaster replacing a generic 65 AMP unit. This kit worth $35 bucks? MAD has something similar, but no way to order unless you catch Mark on the phone.

Mike

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,292 Posts
Mike, If you don't have the necessary tools, like crimper and correct terminals etc. then the kit is probably worth the $$. Plus the red wire shown has a fusible link which is a good thing. It's a touch spendy but for a clean look, plug & play, I'd pop for it. If you have the part number do a search. I found quite a spread when I was looking for an AAW engine harness.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
954 Posts
I think it is probably worth it. Like Al said, it's clean and the fusible link alone is about $5 and the little alternator boot is another $5. When you try and buy the heavy gauge wire (looks like 8 or 10 gauge based on the size of the FL) you will probably have to buy 25'.

On a side note, Mark doesn't have the BUS's any longer or that's what he told me when I ordered from him about a year ago - he won't sell just the BUS but I found this the other day at Speedway and I believe it is identical.

I have this one on my firewall:

And this one on the PS radiator support:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
If your doing much wiring and connecting accessories to your junction block that arent fused already, you can buy the fusible link. I used #10 and 12 for a few things.

Have you talked to Mark at MAD yet ?
that guy is cool, but have an hour of free time when you call,and don't do it while you're at work like I did, lol.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What size wire is in that kit ? I think I ran # 4 from my 150amp alt.to my core support dist block. You can just order the wire size you need and make up your own.
IIRC, the main alternator wire in the kit is 8 gauge. I seem to recall Larry Dubois thinking that if you go really heavy on that wire, it's probably a good idea to extend it to the starter/solenoid area, but I forget exactly what he meant. I'll dig thru my emails to see if I saved it.

Mike, If you don't have the necessary tools, like crimper and correct terminals etc. then the kit is probably worth the $$. Plus the red wire shown has a fusible link which is a good thing. It's a touch spendy but for a clean look, plug & play, I'd pop for it. If you have the part number do a search. I found quite a spread when I was looking for an AAW engine harness.
I have good Klein crimpers and I have a nice assortment of plain tinned butt connectors and shrink tubes, but when you add up all that stuff, it's probably a smart buy for $35 bucks. My old boot is shredded, I don't have the correct alternator plug.

I think it is probably worth it. Like Al said, it's clean and the fusible link alone is about $5 and the little alternator boot is another $5. When you try and buy the heavy gauge wire (looks like 8 or 10 gauge based on the size of the FL) you will probably have to buy 25'.

On a side note, Mark doesn't have the BUS's any longer or that's what he told me when I ordered from him about a year ago - he won't sell just the BUS but I found this the other day at Speedway and I believe it is identical.

I have this one on my firewall:

And this one on the PS radiator support:
You hit the nail on the head... lotta parts all in one box. I think I'll order the kit, maybe keep looking at BUS Terminal options. Maybe rather than stacking 4-5 wires there might be one that has decent individual posts with a cover. I think Amazon has a load of those, being a long time boater, I've seen marine stuff that's pretty stout.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
You hit the nail on the head... lotta parts all in one box. I think I'll order the kit, maybe keep looking at BUS Terminal options. Maybe rather than stacking 4-5 wires there might be one that has decent individual posts with a cover. I think Amazon has a load of those, being a long time boater, I've seen marine stuff that's pretty stout.

Mike
I like using the marine stuff also. Seems like it’s always weatherized better.
may trunk battery disconnect is from my boat parts stash

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I did find this on JEGS site. A covered alternative to the Round MAD style unit. It has one large post, one slightly smaller.

Apparently AAW has something similar to the old MAD unit.

In my recent discussions with Larry Dubois, he suggested that connecting Vintage Air and a Fan Controller directly to the battery really wasn't necessary if you used something like these. Doesn't really seem practical (or neat) to have three (3) extra wires (2 White grounds, 1 Red power) connected to a battery terminal. I may go with the JEGs covered unit for now, I'll keep looking to see what the marine electronics side offers.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like that covered one, never saw that. Good find. When you are using 8 or 10 gauge wire you also want to make sure your post can manage the associated ring terminal size.
Tim... I ordered two (2) might paint one base/cover red LOL just so I'm not confused. Also found this covered one on West Marine:

The Jegs unit they have a BUS Bar to link the two posts, so I ordered two of those as well. I don't know for sure if the Marinco one above is connected. If I was into 3D printing, I'd probably design my own and shoot them in two different colors. I've found uncovered sets like that, but I like the idea of the cover protecting the contacts a little from an accidental grounding or whatever.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
954 Posts
Tim... I ordered two (2) might paint one base/cover red LOL just so I'm not confused. Also found this covered one on West Marine:

View attachment 266699
The Jegs unit they have a BUS Bar to link the two posts, so I ordered two of those as well. I don't know for sure if the Marinco one above is connected. If I was into 3D printing, I'd probably design my own and shoot them in two different colors. I've found uncovered sets like that, but I like the idea of the cover protecting the contacts a little from an accidental grounding or whatever.
I am with you on the covered aspect. My firewall mount which came from MAD is fairly protected and has the tall prongs but the radiator support post is much more exposed. I even tried to find a rubber boot or button but was unsuccessful. Just be sure to use heat shrink on all your terminal ends so the base of the terminal which will protrude out from under the cover is insulated. I think you are going to like the Jegs one better than the WM simply because you have more clocking available for terminal mounting - I found it quite handy especially when you have different sizes for wire.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tim... I recently picked up a DYMO Rhino 4200 which can print on shrink tubes, so everything going into those Power/Ground locations will be ID'd and protected. Probably this winter I will go back into the dash and print sleeves for all the wiring for my SpeedHut stuff going into the Deutsch connectors. Simple enough, just use the tool to eject the pin/wire and put the appropriate printed sleeve on it and shrink it. I used a regular Brother Label Printer to tag most stuff with "flags" on the wires which are don't really hold up forever.

Not my BUS but this is why I got the Rhino.

This is a great tool for anyone doing a significant amount of wiring on these old cars. I have both 3/8" and 1/2" printable shrink sleeves.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats why I love the forums... I found out about it on another forum and so now I'm just sharing stuff LOL. I wish I had this thing when I had my boats. I was snaking 35 feet of wires through tuna tower legs installing Loran, GPS stuff and whatever.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just a suggestion, a fused terminal block may be a better choice when adding new accessories, EFI, A/C, Fans, etc. An in line fuse wouldn't be needed.
Blue Sea Systems ST Blade ATO/ATC Fuse Blocks 6 circuit w/cover, or similar

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Funny that you should mention that one because I was looking at it just yesterday! The specs say the circuits are good for up to 30 Amps, and yes... I could attach the AC power line to that, and probably the PWM as well although I'd like to confirm that. I Have a FiTech 600 sitting on the shelf which I might install but that's a Winter project at this point. But that accessory/fuse panel mounted in the engine bay would be handy for the FiTech if I do use it. Since the alternator has a built-in regulator, I was thinking of mounting that unit over on the DS where the old Regulator was. Do you think that 4' run requires anything bigger than a #10 wire from the Power Block? Or would it be better to tap into a Ignition-ON source? Keep wondering about that "Mystery Wire" which is #10 coming out of the harness.

I just want to get the car running again right now, and a few minor things (making power steering hoses, mounting the reservoir, waiting on a AAW Alternator wiring kit, wiring the fans, upper & lower radiator hoses, probably something I forgot LOL) to drop the battery in and fire her up. I need to get some drive time before winter arrives LOL!

Mike

·
Registered
232 Posts
Use the appropriate gauge of wire for load being used.
Mystery wire? Get a schematic and follow the wire out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts