Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Its a true mystery wire. You can check out the thread The Mystery Wire. And I did correspond with Larry Dubois who is the guy that pieced together all the electrical schematics for the '69 Camaro. Larry sells the PDF "book" on eBay or he did at one time. I actually bought it, printed it, and made a spiral bound real flip page reference book I keep in my garage. Larry was baffled but thought the wire might have something to do with the ignition because it looks pink even though its very heavy gauge. I have too many wires hanging in the engine bay to put the battery in just now, plus I'm a little less mobile with this soft cast.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I've had some time because I haven't been able to use my right hand much for the past two weeks. Soft cast and stitches come out tomorrow, so maybe I'll be able to put a glove over the incisions and start working on the car again. I decided that I'm gonna hold off on the Blue Seas circuit box for now. I might re-think it this Winter, but this layout is pretty much where I'm going.

Alternator Wiring-02.jpg

The Alternator wiring layout is per AmericanAutoWire instruction sheet for higher output units... I ordered that a while ago, just arrived at my doorstep 15 minutes ago. Wiring the Alternator output stud to the solenoid isn't the way the car is set up now, but its what they spec. The wire in the kit includes #8 gauge RED wire plus appropriate sized ring terminals, a new alternator ppt, and the appropriate plugs.

My diagram is NOT 100% color coded, its basically a reference sheet for me to follow. The only "puzzler" is where I'm going to tap for a 12v Ignition Switched source. Could I possibly go back under the dash (again?) and tap off the infamous BROWN wire that was going to the old heater? I did connect the VIOLET line from the VA harness to that, could it handle the trinary switch other BLUE line's needs? Or what about the fan wire that runs across the firewall above the radiator? Its probably dead because the brown wire is snipped and tapped already. Then there's the "Mystery Wire" I have to see if its live since it doesn't show up on my wiring diagrams. I have to build a simple pair of jumpers to go into the old Voltage Regulator Plug now that I'm gonna be using a internally regulated Alternator. Is there Switched Power at the Horn Relay?

Aside from this, I'm considering using battery terminals that allow for multiple size wires since I just happen to have set of Stingers, similar to these. I always disliked the short Terminal wire with its yellow crimp that looks like a mistake LOL. I know the big local stereo/alarm shops around here use these, so I guess they work well enough.

Battery Terminal-00.jpg Battery Terminal-02.jpg Stinger Terminal-00.jpg

Just curious if anyone here has used them.

Mike

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I hope you don't mind but I copied your diagram and made some notes on the side. Maybe what I've added is of no concern as maybe the diagram is just for a basic layout but I just wanted to throw this out to you.

The smaller wire off of the battery with the yellow part (fusible link maybe ?) may need to be larger due to what wire sizes I'm seeing after that (and this may just be a rough drawing of yours and it's already figured into things.

You fan grounds go to a pulse width modulator and then is shows a smaller ground going to your ground block and if the 2 fan ground wires are let's say a 10 gauge, then maybe from the pulse width modulator to the ground block have this a single 8 gauge wire.

Also too, and I don't know how complete your diagram is, but you may have to add a ground from the battery negative post to the body of the car to support things grounded to the car body like your taillights, radio, turn signals, dome lights, gauges, and so on. Again,maybe you are running ground straps somewhere too and not shown.

On the subject of battery terminals, there are a TON out there. I've used a lot of them from Stinger (Aamp of America) as well as Esoteric Audio from back in the day and just make sure if things attach with allens or whatever to coat the bolts with antisieze.

Jim

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,580 Posts
Mike, Did you create this drawing? It looks great, What software did you use. I want to learn that stuff for sure.
Brett.....

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Jim and Brett... Will try to answer your comments.

I hope you don't mind but I copied your diagram and made some notes on the side. Maybe what I've added is of no concern as maybe the diagram is just for a basic layout but I just wanted to throw this out to you.

View attachment 266980

The smaller wire off of the battery with the yellow part (fusible link maybe ?) may need to be larger due to what wire sizes I'm seeing after that (and this may just be a rough drawing of yours and it's already figured into things.

The "smaller" wires coming off the battery terminals are standard GM/Camaro feeds, If you buy a replacement battery cable for your car, they are pre-attached. Check your car, you may have some different terminals/leads, but they are standard GM issue. I believe the wires are #10 gauge from the factory and connect to the factory Terminal Block on the core support next to the battery. I drew this sketch up prior to discovering I had a brand new set of Stinger terminals. Will probably run at least an #8 gauge maybe heavier to the Jegs Terminal Block from the Stinger.

You fan grounds go to a pulse width modulator and then is shows a smaller ground going to your ground block and if the 2 fan ground wires are let's say a 10 gauge, then maybe from the pulse width modulator to the ground block have this a single 8 gauge wire.

The ground wires on the fans are #12 gauge, power wires are #10. The ground wire included with the PWM is a #10 gauge. The two (2) white Vintage Air ground wires are probably #14. The electric controller for the headlight doors is also a #14, pre-wired from the manufacturer.

Also too, and I don't know how complete your diagram is, but you may have to add a ground from the battery negative post to the body of the car to support things grounded to the car body like your taillights, radio, turn signals, dome lights, gauges, and so on. Again,maybe you are running ground straps somewhere too and not shown.

That ground terminal block next to the lower RH corner of the battery will actually be mounted to either the core support or more likely, the inner fender where its double thick next to the battery. As noted in my post, this diagram is just a loose reference for me to note where the wiring has to go and its not really in scale. And yes, there are ground straps from the body to the engine.

On the subject of battery terminals, there are a TON out there. I've used a lot of them from Stinger (Aamp of America) as well as Esoteric Audio from back in the day and just make sure if things attach with allens or whatever to coat the bolts with antisieze.

Yes, I've used Stingers before, I have a new set that I bought a long time ago and forgot about... was going thru my electrical bins and presto! I have a brand new set.

Jim
Mike, Did you create this drawing? It looks great, What software did you use. I want to learn that stuff for sure.
Brett.....
Brett... Yes I did create it from scratch. Being a retired Industrial Designer has its perks... I've dabbled in numerous graphic programs for decades, CorelDraw, PhotoShop, and many others. This drawing I created with VISIO 10. I was a Visio user before it was sold to Microsoft, and I use it and abuse it LOL. Its one of the only reasons I keep a Windows 10 PC in my little graphics studio... they never ported it over to the Macs. I use two Macs one older, one new one plus a MacBook Pro. Anyway, Visio was part of Microsoft Office for a while, I haven't bothered to upgrade past Version 10 as I can do anything from floor plans to CAD drawings to diagrams and charts. I used both Photoshop and Visio to design my new radiator shroud, turned over DXF files to the metal fab shop and it turned out prettygood.

Shroud 3D-01.jpg

Created this is Photoshop.

MyShroud-XXD.jpg

Created this in Visio... saved it as a DXF/AutoCAD file. The shop was able to laser cut everything, then start shaping it with a combination of a metal break and some TIG welding. Turned out pretty good.

As noted in our prior conversations, space is tight, but it fits with the fans and I'm hoping those Ford Contour dual 12" fans will do the job. I'll probably do little thread about the fan project down the road. If you'd like to find out more about VISIO, there's a decent VISIO FORUM where the people are very friendly and there's even some car guys there. And you can always rattle my cage LOL. The last reference book I bought on Visio was this one about 15 years ago? It's all I ever needed when I upgraded. Its thicker than a phone book, and if I can't find the answer there, I either go to the forum or just google my question.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
For the wiring guru's... one question. Since I bought the AAW high output alternator kit, the main (red #*) wire goes from the alternator to the starter and not directly to the horn relay as my current harness is set up. So I'm gonna cut the big red horn relay wire near the battery and then put a ring terminal on it and connect it to the new Jegs BUS. I will also be adding a fuseable link wire from the battery terminal to the same BUS post.

Anyone find fault with the plan?

Mike

21 - 26 of 26 Posts