Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find this info..... is it 5 or 6 quarts(w/filter) of oil in a stock 69 dz oil pan. my dipstick that I have installed reads w/ 5 qts its reading 1 qt low. just checking as I don't want to overfill the pan

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not the correct stick even though it does have the green in the pull loop. its a gm stick but not the right one. my sticks says at five qts to add one more. thanks guys. at least I know now

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I might just get in on this measuring dip sticks. Mine measures 18 1/4" , from tip to just at the sealing umbrella tube , I could be off 1/16" . I have the same SAE oil stamp and part number 3951576 with the M stamp and I have a dimple under the loop. I have a green tip on the pull loop.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
X2 on the 5 quarts. Is the tube seated all the way down in the block?

·
Registered
158 Posts
late to the ball game but here is food for thought. I had my 69 Z-28 at a local mechanic shop back in early 70's for something. This guy raced small block engines and was a huge force on the local dirt track. HE SAID" More engines are screwed up and lost by low oil than high levels,,,therefore he went on to say this motor (and ALL small block chevys,plus others) would be well served to run an extra quart of oil a all times. 6 in this case. His point was you get down past the add with running 5 and your at 3 something and that just wont do. He also claimed there was ZERO chance of doing harm to it in running the extra quart. Under hard accel or sharp corner the oil sump could suck air which MAY cause lots bigger probs.

SO,,,,my opinion is on this subject ,,, SIX quarts and love having the extra cushion.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
If one could actually measure oil in the oil pan when running ( Ie sight glass as large industrial motors have) , you would see maybe half of the 5 qts you fill pan with, is at the pump sump.
With the motor running , you have lifters , oil galley, push rods , crank oil holes and the oil filter , full of oil. Yet you have return oil in the heads , running back to the oil pan.
So, running 6 qt is not going to hurt, oil starvation will..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts