Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67, LS swap, tko, AAW Classic Upgrade Harness. I am working on laying out the underhood electric and am debating between a relay box and point of use relay mounting. The 3 I know I need at this point are fan, horn, and the neutral safety switch across the tko. I like to have a jog button under the hood so that might get one too. What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Hopefully you will do something better than a single fan relay. Fans run full speed all the time which is noisy. Look at hi/lo three relay setups or better yet a PWM controller from DCC or other supplier.

Where are you putting your fuel pump relay?

Don

·
14,264 Posts
The horn relay is included in the AAW harness and is located under the dash.

What LS Harness are you using?

LS Relays:

Fuel Pump
Ignition
Fans/Controller
Neutral Safety for TKO

Optional - Head Lights

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel pump relay is in the trunk. I think a single speed fan came with the radiator. I haven’t opened it up and looked yet.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
The fuel pump relay is in the trunk. I think a single speed fan came with the radiator. I haven’t opened it up and looked yet.
No doubt because it is the lowest cost option. There are much better solutions out there. I used a DCC controller in my 69 and I will make it the controller in all my builds going forward. Whisper quiet with slow ramp up.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I never did hook up my neutral safety to my TKO.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I expect the harness will be the GMPP crate harness. I have to open up the AAW underhood bags. I didn’t realize the horn relay is in there. Duh. Prolly would have stumbled over that fact sometime this weekend. I have the fuel pump relay hooked on to the AAW control leg. I may have to move that? Ignition relay? When I dig out the headlights I am going to change them over to retro electric. Those things haven’t worked since 72. I gave up on relay lotto and left them open. Are DC pulse controllers retrofittable on to any fan motor? I kinda thought you were done without 4 wire.

·
19,891 Posts
If using a separate fan controller, I really like this one since it cycles my fans on/off as needed and one comes on, then the other to help with current draw.

they also make one with a probe that screws in head for a more accurate temp ;)

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I expect the harness will be the GMPP crate harness. I have to open up the AAW underhood bags. I didn’t realize the horn relay is in there. Duh. Prolly would have stumbled over that fact sometime this weekend. I have the fuel pump relay hooked on to the AAW control leg. I may have to move that? Ignition relay? When I dig out the headlights I am going to change them over to retro electric. Those things haven’t worked since 72. I gave up on relay lotto and left them open. Are DC pulse controllers retrofittable on to any fan motor? I kinda thought you were done without 4 wire.
DCC controller works with two wire fans:

constant temperature controllers

Fuel pump relay comes with your LS harness. Depending on your harness the ignition relay does too. I would not get too far into wiring until you have your LS harness in hand....

Don

·
14,264 Posts
DCC controller works with two wire fans:

constant temperature controllers

Fuel pump relay comes with your LS harness. Depending on your harness the ignition relay does too. I would not get too far into wiring until you have your LS harness in hand....

Don
Exactly. The GMPP Harness comes with the fuse box and relays. The relay for the fan is a single relay on/off controlled by the ECM. I would suggest a separate stand alone fan control. I like Dakota Digital dual fan control. Others have their favorites. That said I've used the GMPP single relay to both single and dual fans and have not had any issues. Fan life may be shortened but in years if guys running the swaps I've done I have not reports of failures.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Exactly. The GMPP Harness comes with the fuse box and relays. The relay for the fan is a single relay on/off controlled by the ECM. I would suggest a separate stand alone fan control. I like Dakota Digital dual fan control. Others have their favorites. That said I've used the GMPP single relay to both single and dual fans and have not had any issues. Fan life may be shortened but in years if guys running the swaps I've done I have not reports of failures.
It’s the noise of simple on/off fan controller that annoys the heck out of me. You can hear them coming a half mile down the road. Besides the engineer in me likes nice elegant solutions and not crude sledge hammer solutions...

Don

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While its not my intent to go too far with wiring prior to having the finished engine in place I do want to make up the lighting harness while the sheet metal is together for its first look. I also want to fit up the tko and get its wiring scoped out prior to the engine install. The AAW harness carrying the lights also carries the temp gauge feed, the alt exciter leg, and a fan feed. I expect to abandon the fan feed. Do you use the passenger head temp gauge sender location to help clean up the wiring? Do you run over the top from the firewall to the alt or jump over from the wheelhouses for the alt feeds?

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Your LS harness will have the alternator and temp sender connections. Your choice of gauges will determine if you need an additional temp sender. Dakota Digital with the bus interface module is the way to go imho because your gauges get their info from the ECM. Keeps it nice and clean.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know. My goal is a Dakota RTX for console cars. They have told me soon a few times already.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don, I put the radiator in today and powered up the fan. Now I know what you are talking about!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Don, I put the radiator in today and powered up the fan. Now I know what you are talking about!
If you have a single fan then a PWM controller is the way to go imho.

Don

1 - 16 of 16 Posts