Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not have a Z. Wish I did but I love my car just the same. The motor is the 327 block with the 283 crank setup. I am dropping in a different cam and I just had my heads ported and polished. I think I will be near the 400-450 range. Though I won't know for sure until I can get to the dyno this coming spring. Here's my setup:

327, World Torquer (sp) heads with 2.02-1.60 valves, 76cc, Comp Cams 286H, Flat top pistons, 650 Edelbrock AVS, Edelbrock Air Gap RPM intake, 1 5/8 Hedman headers, 3" flowmaster system, THM 350 w/ 3500 stall, stage 4 shift kit and 3.73 posi out back.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
There are too many variables to predict when the motor will blow. Metal analysis requires destroying components to know their yeild points. Imperfections in the metal (which all metals have) will make some weaker than others. How well balanced the motor is, how many inperfections are in the piston castings, bearing wear, and many other things come into play. I haven't seen any 2 bolt mains break, but I've seen cranks break and more often than not, the piston or rod gives out. It's a crap shoot. Best you can do is build it as solid as you can (afford) and treat it accordingly. But that's part of the fun. Build it, thrash it, and fix it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What kind of rods are you running? If you are turning some serious rpms, 6500-7000 or more when you wind it up, I would suggest some eagle H beams.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have read in the past that a properly well built 2-bolt SB will go safely up into the 500hp area.
If it's a large journal 327cid why not just stroke it?
Argh! Argh! Argh! Argh! :beers:

Kurt

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
weren't there some pretty common 283's in the early 60's that had steel cranks in them? truck engines, perhaps?
that would be a step in the right direction.
if nothing else, ask pdq67 about his little 301 combo with a Duntov cam.. i can guarantee he'll be more than happy to comment on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your home made 302 should do just fine with the 2 bolt mains. As long as you keep the RPM's around 6000 to 6500. The old original 327 365 & 375 HP engines ran a long time running up to 7000. Your cam and good heads should make you pleanty of HP under 7000.

Dollar Beil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts