Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I finally ordered 17's!!
I really hope they'll look great. I've always had 14's and 15's on my camaro. I'll try and take some pics and post them after they're on. I was trying to find out how much difference in sidewall height there would be between the following:

275/40/R17 and 255/50/R17

also 245/40/R17 and 225/50/R17

The tire guy suggested running the 50 series with the width I mentioned above so they wouldn't look too thin of sidewall, and probably to allow a tiny bit of pothole insurance lol. So I was just trying to find out how much actual difference in sidewall i'm lookin at. Thanks

·
Registered
828 Posts
275/40/R17 and 255/50/R17

Very close to the same diameter, but the 255/50 will be an inch narrower than the 275/40.

245/40/R17 and 225/50/R17

Again, same diameter between the two, but the 225/50 will be a half inch narrower.

IMO, run the 275/40 and the 245/40. It's a tried and true combination. Looks and works great.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size rims would I need for that combo? 17x8 and 17x9.5? I actually have a pair of nittos layin around that are 245/40/17 so those would work in front, and I'd just need the rear tires

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Scott, I think the rim/tire place is gonna order up the combo you mentioned. And also have the other one they already ordered on hand in case there are problems with it fitting. I think it'd be nicer to have the combo you mentioned, I just hope there isn't any rubbing because I don't really want to modify any of the fenders.I'm hoping the wheels/tires will be on my ride by this weekend. I've been rolling around "GHETTO STYLE" ;) lol. I have black steel wheels in front, and some older style centerlines on the back.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand that 275/40/17 and 245/40/17 is the combo to run.I need to verify 1 thing though, and I haven't heard this yet. WILL THESE RIMS/TIRES TUCK INSIDE THE FENDERS??? If they won't then I for sure don't want to run them. I like a low stance with part of the tire tucked up in the fenderwells. So if anyone can tell me this please let me know.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Scott, your camaro is beyond sweet! I have a set of nitto's already at my house, I was wonderin if these would work in the front. They probably are really close to the size you suggested. They are 245/45/17 . I have to replace my cooling system too, so if these will work it'd be helpful. Then I'd only have to order the rear tires. Thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for checking that Scott. Jigga, for the 17x9.5" rears they will have 5.5" back spacing
17x8" fronts will have 4.75" backspacing.

I had told the guy this is what I wanted and he was like NO, that won't fit, but I was pretty sure it would after doin research on here, so hopefully he won't get all bent out of shape when I tell him I want to run what I originally wanted not what he ordered, but we'll see.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
FWIW??

The section width x the sidewall percent x 2 + the rim diameter = the tire diameter!! (All in inches!!)...

Hope this is of use to help figure what looks good in a wheel well opening..

pdq67

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm hoping by saturday they'll be in so I can get em mounted and drive home. If they are, i'll borrow a digital and take some pics and try to get them to whoever wants to see them. That way jigga you can check out how they fit/look. Hopefully everything will go smooth , hehe. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for the info Pdq67.

Luke

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does the fact that my car has drum brakes all the way around have any affect on running the setup? It has the stock 10 bolt. Not sure , but thought i'd double check. I think the tire guy is gonna try and tell me that this isn't gonna work/fit. I don't feel like I should be responsible for the restocking fee of what he ordered instead due to the fact I told him what I orginally wanted, and he said it wouldn't fit, but never looked into it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Luke, when I first got my 17's, I had drums in the rear, and it worked fine. Later, I switched to Baer brakes all the way around, and I still had no problems.

As for the drums up front, I'm not sure how much that effects track width, perhaps someone will chime in that's worked with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are many sites out there you can find by doing a Google search that will help you determine the difference in two tire sizes. A site I particularly like is listed below. It will help you determine overall diameter, width, sidewall height, as well as the difference in circumference and percentage change in speedo readings. I apologize I am new to Camaros so I don't what will/won't fit but it worked quite well in figuring out what sizes I could fit under my early Nova. Hope this helps - Brian

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Disc's are about .30" thicker then drum's at the stud mount so your wheel width will widen by about .6" front and rear if you go a four wheel drum to disc conversion using drum hubs.

If you use either two-piece hubs or machined down cast '69 type rotor/hubs less the rotors, the front will widen about .6" + 1.1" to 1.2" or so for a total of about 1.75" increase!

This is b/c the rim mount surface, (or what is called the "Joe" dimension b/c Joe named it first over on the Team Chevelle site), is about .6" closer to the small end of the hub vs the drum hubs "Joe"!!

I bring this up b/c I have two-piece hubs on my car now along with 13" rotors and custom caliper brackets to mount the big single piston calipers. (My front calipers are Van type that are 1/4" wider at the pad throat vs stock, '69 Camaro ones)...

Do a search for my "pdqCBB" four wheel disc conversion if you want to. I figure it is the cheapest one going for big brakes!! And my rear rotors are 11.75" ones...

pdq67

1 - 20 of 30 Posts