Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I could really never find out the true CC of this piston. The piston is a Badger and they went out of business. What do you think? I'm thinking around 12cc. The lip is 1/8 high. What do you think the comp would be?

- .030 over
- .023 in the hole
- .039 head gasket ( think it's 4.120 )
- 76 CC heads

With this piston?

·
Registered
72 Posts
That looks like a Badgers cast piston copy of the 70 LT-1 350 TRW L2304F forged piston. Assuming we are talking about 350s. The Done should be .100 high? I don't have any numbers on Badgers piston but I do have a old TRW catalog on the TRWs. By the time you subtract the valve clearance troff area. TRW called them a + 2.4 dome volume. They have it listed as 9.31 compression at .030 over with a .038 head gasket using 76 CC chamber heads.

The Badgers were a lower priced cast rebuilder type piston. I used a set of the Badgers just like you are showing many years ago to rebuild a 350 with 76 CC heads.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
That looks like a Badgers cast piston copy of the 70 LT-1 350 TRW L2304F forged piston. Assuming we are talking about 350s. The Done should be .100 high? I don't have any numbers on Badgers piston but I do have a old TRW catalog on the TRWs. By the time you subtract the valve clearance troff area. TRW called them a + 2.4 dome volume. They have it listed as 9.31 compression at .030 over with a .038 head gasket using 76 CC chamber heads.

The Badgers were a lower priced cast rebuilder type piston. I used a set of the Badgers just like you are showing many years ago to rebuild a 350 with 76 CC heads.

I will agree with 68. My 1973 Trw book tells me the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's a P552 if it's a 350 SB. It's a similar piston to TRW's L2304.

Two differences between the Badger & TRW's however.

The first slight difference is in the dome height. Badger's have a .110" dome height while TRW's are .100". The TRW's have a 2.5 cc measurement and the Badger's have a 3.0 cc. Not enough to matter there.

The second major difference is the Badger's were cast pistons and the
TRW's are forged.

(+) Your compression ratio with a 76 cc head will be about 9.2:1 to 9.25:1. The compression height on that piston is 1.558.

Harry P. Hunter

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a P552 if it's a 350 SB. It's a similar piston to TRW's L2304.

Two differences between the Badger & TRW's however.

The first slight difference is in the dome height. Badger's have a .110" dome height while TRW's are .100". The TRW's have a 2.5 cc measurement and the Badger's have a 3.0 cc. Not enough to matter there.

The second major difference is the Badger's were cast pistons and the
TRW's are forged.

(+) Your compression ratio with a 76 cc head will be about 9.2:1 to 9.25:1. The compression height on that piston is 1.558.

Harry P. Hunter

Yes ,you are correct. The number on te piston is P552. Are you sure about the CC though? It looks like alot more than 3 CC. With the 12CC I come up with around 11:0.1. I'm looking at possibly getting new heads. I was looking at 70CC and 64CC. And it these ARE 12CC 64's would be no good. Ok thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes ,you are correct. The number on te piston is P552. Are you sure about the CC though? It looks like alot more than 3 CC. With the 12CC I come up with around 11:0.1. I'm looking at possibly getting new heads. I was looking at 70CC and 64CC. And it these ARE 12CC 64's would be no good. Ok thanks.
The dome is more than 3 cc. The valve relief is very deep and cancels most of the dome. A +3 cc is a very accurate number for this piston.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I got in touch with someone at badger and they looked in their books and found this.

.110 inches domed
11.1 compression ( not sure what CC head this was with)
1.558 compression height

Thats all they had.

Another question. The heads I have now are stock cast iron 1.94 valves. I am looking at Brodix IK180's and they have 2.02 valves. My cam is a comp 280H with a 480 lift. Brodix said to make sure the fit. Would the dome hit the head? Do you really think I'll have a problem with these pistons?

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tt

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
It's a little difficult to say without knowing how much your pistons are in the hole. My 355 was .020 in the hole with a .041 head gasket and had the TRW pistons with the .100 dome. Cam was .480 lift and I had no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a little difficult to say without knowing how much your pistons are in the hole. My 355 was .020 in the hole with a .041 head gasket and had the TRW pistons with the .100 dome. Cam was .480 lift and I had no issues.
I believe they are .022 in the hole with a .039 gasket.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You shouldn't have an issue with the cam (valves hitting the piston), but I'd say about a 90% chance of the piston hitting the head. Those old style done pistons were made for the old style chambers, not the newer "fast burn" style chambers. You'll definately want to clay the piston to make sure there is no contact.
You may want to consider something with the older style chamber...something that is more open. Something along the lines of the dart S/R torquers. I think everybody has pretty much went to the newer combustion chamber shapes on the aftermarket heads. The edelbrock performer/performer rpm heads used to have the older style chambers, but I believe they have changed them too.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You shouldn't have an issue with the cam (valves hitting the piston), but I'd say about a 90% chance of the piston hitting the head. Those old style done pistons were made for the old style chambers, not the newer "fast burn" style chambers. You'll definately want to clay the piston to make sure there is no contact.
You may want to consider something with the older style chamber...something that is more open. Something along the lines of the dart S/R torquers. I think everybody has pretty much went to the newer combustion chamber shapes on the aftermarket heads. The edelbrock performer/performer rpm heads used to have the older style chambers, but I believe they have changed them too.
I found the TRW piston that I was told about. I called Brodix and they said they will let me know. I also called AFR and they said I shouldn't have a problem. Who knows. I don't want to buy them and find out they wont fit.

I also only have a .480 lift . It's a Comp cam 280H.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Do you think that piston would clear? it's not too big.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
It *might*, but I would definately contact the manufacturor and get their input before you buy. It sure looks to me like it would hit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.