Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my heads and sent them out to be redone on my L30.....what I neglected to do was to rack and mark the rockers and push rods when removing them.
The rods and rockers are in real good shape but I have no idea now which rods and rockers go together or what cylinders they came off of.
Is it a big deal to reinstall them mixed, not in the original places?

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Nope. If you sent the rockers in to a shop with the heads, you'd get them back with the rockers strung on bailing wire.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that's good to hear.
What scared me is that I read on more then one site on the net (after I pulled the heads) that it is very important to mark and reinstall every rocker and rod in the exact same location that it came out of.
I assume this is because of wearing patterns?
Just wondering if it is as big a deal as they lead you to believe.

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
I would replace the rocker arm nuts.
They lose their 'locking" ability after being used a few times.

·
Super Moderator
32,526 Posts
I agree with everybodys' suggestions given. Cam break-in lube on the pushrod ends works and also, apply some to the rocker balls. You don't want them starting up dry - an eriee sound is emitted - fingernails on a chalkboard comes to mind.

I have used GM's EOS for lube, just a FYI.

Bethanne's suggestion of getting new locknuts is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Nope. If you sent the rockers in to a shop with the heads, you'd get them back with the rockers strung on bailing wire.
^ my rockers came back in a cardboard box. I didn't even get the bailing wire treatment. As stated above by all, you will be just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
^ my rockers came back in a cardboard box. I didn't even get the bailing wire treatment. As stated above by all, you will be just fine.
The guys in my shop know about my bailing wire ball. You know like yarn.:)

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Do check the contact area(s) on each of the rockers and the ends of the pushrods.
Also check the rocker-balls and 'rocker-slot' area of the rockers for wear and small cracks.
Any with wear/damage should be replaced.
It's not uncommon for high-mileage or 'not-to-well-cared-for' engines to exhibit wear in these areas.

As stated - EOS, Assembly-Lube or A light brush with 'Moly' grease on these areas during re-assembly will assure they get off to a good start again :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
It's not uncommon for high-mileage or 'not-to-well-cared-for' engines to exhibit wear in these areas.
Yeah. Also in brand new BBC's with a high lift solid roller running stamped rockers. (not my engine) It won't even be able to pull out of the garage.
(sorry Jer, but the info helps others)

·
19,864 Posts
Lifters.... I'd worry about :yes:

Rockers/pushrods....:noway:

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Lifters.... I'd worry about :yes:

Rockers/pushrods....:noway:
You must be right - that could never happen in real life ... :eek:

Oh - wait ... I remember now, IT DOES :thumbsup:
At least folks that have built more than a couple engines have probably seen it :p
Like this;
Push rod worn through rocker arm.jpg

And sometimes even the pushrods go 'bad';
Push rod wear.jpg

We even talk about on here from time to time - http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94496&highlight=Pushrod+busted

So wear in anywhere in the Valve Train = :yes:

·
Banned
3,193 Posts

At least folks that have built more than a couple engines have probably seen it :p
Like this;
View attachment 21516

View attachment 21517

We even talk about on here from time to time - http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94496&highlight=Pushrod+busted

Did someone forget their zinc additive ? :D

·
19,864 Posts

Like this;
View attachment 21516

View attachment 21517

I would think for something like that to happen it would have to be a loose rocker over a long time,or a plugged pushrod (lack of lubricity). I seriously doubt that was due to "mix match" rockers/pushrods.
If there was an issue with either on re-assembly....replace the set. IMO

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
I think John was recommending to inspect every part closely for wear.
Good advice !! :yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts