Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready for initial start-up/breakin on my rebuilt engine.
Can I just wire up the engine harness to the HEI, starter and battery cables or do I also need the horn relay and voltage regulator to start the engine?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Some others will chime in but the main ones you need if I remember correctly are: distributor, coil (or HEI power), starter and wiper motor. The wiper motor has part of the starting circuit. At least mine didn't work until I did that. Voltage regulator isn't as important as long as you got a new distributor.

Make sure you got good grounds.

Its been a while though and don't have schematics so not 100% positive. Some others will chime in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You will have to use both the engine and lighting front harness. The power to the HEI and and the starter (neutral switch) and fuse bock come from the lighting harness. You will have to have the alt wired (so you do not have a live 12V wire out there), horn relay, and regulator also. That should do it to start it up and break in your new motor. Good Luck Jerry

·
19,889 Posts
It can be done on a test stand with just a few wires.... in the car,more are needed as stated above due to the electrical system.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I rig up a remote ignition or something? I really don't want to reinstall the front clip yet incase I run into any issues. Any ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts