Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, and I just thought I'd introduce myself.

Well, I've been looking around online for a year 2000-2002 online, and I find it is very hard to find a Camaro with the SS Package pre-installed. So, this leads me to my question(s):

1. how much would it cost to have the SS Package installed? The things I mainly want from it are the scoop and a few other things.

2. What does the SS package include that the stock doesn't?

3. Anyone know where I could get that kind of job done? I figured a local body shop might do the trick. Anwyays, thanks for reading! Look forward to your reply :D

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I think you can buy an aftermarket SS hood, OR find one from a junked/wrecked car, but that doesn't make your car an SS... :)

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
You are not looking hard enough, I see them all the time. There are a couple in our classifieds and many on ebay right now and even some listed at cars-on-line.com. Have you tried traderonline?

If you really want to add all the SS stuff to a Z28 it will run you around $3500 or so to pay and have it done. Dealers were building SS clones using all factory parts for a bit less than the factory SS cost over a Z28. I'm sure if all you want is a hood check sites like yearone and you'll find one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, let me rephrase my original statement. It's difficult to find an SS Camaro that isn't over 10 grand (A bit out of my teenage price range, sad to say). I'm not looking for the SS appearance only. I'd like to give it the SS power as well. btw, what does the SS have that the normal doesn't?

·
Registered
511 Posts
SS includes :325 hp ls1, functional hood , specific rear spoiler,performance suspension,17" wheels,power steering cooler, low restriction exaust, well thats all I can think of right now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
Sorry, let me rephrase my original statement. It's difficult to find an SS Camaro that isn't over 10 grand (A bit out of my teenage price range, sad to say). I'm not looking for the SS appearance only. I'd like to give it the SS power as well. btw, what does the SS have that the normal doesn't?
Here's a quote from Motor Trend about the 2000 SS:
Adding the SS Performance/Appearance package to a Z28 delivers fiberglass cold-air induction hood, low-restriction dual exhaust system with 2-inch tailpipes, Goodyear's top-of-the-line F1 GS radials on SS-specific 17-inch wheels, stiffer suspension, power steering cooler, and SS-specific rear spoiler. Quite a goody basket for $4000.
For that you go from the Z28's 305HP to 320 or 325HP. If initial outlay is an issue you can pick up a Z28 and add aftermarket as you get the cash. Just keep in mind going from 16" wheels and tires to 17" could cost you a couple grand, hoods and spoilers are not cheap and will need to be painted and by the time you add those items it will end up costing you a couple thousand more than a nice SS which already has them and more... Sometimes it pays to be patient.

My last bits of advice applies to either Z28 or SS, be selective most of these cars got road hard and put away wet. When you see several thousand dollars difference in 2 like cars there may be good reason. Also don't rule out a '96/'97 with the LT1 or the '98/'99 if money is an issue. A well cared for older car may be the same price as a beat newer one...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts