Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I haven't said anything but I think I need to pass along some information of a situation that happened to me a couple of weekends ago. We were watching the Daytona 500 and at 19 laps to go we discovered our house was on fire! There was a lamp on the dresser in the bedroom and the cord shorted out and caught the top of the dresser on fire. All the furniture in our bedroom is white wicker and it is like hay, it burns REAL FAST!

By the time we discovered it the top of the dresser was on fire and had fallen through to the clothes. The lamp shade had caught fire and when the dresser top caved in the lap fell into the carpet setting it on fire. The fire had also caught up a dried floral decoration on the wall and it was just a blazing. What tipped us off was the popping noise from the wicker burning. Also, it had enough time for the smoke to come into the living room.

This is where the Camaro comes to the rescue. Back when I had it painted I had forgotten my fire extinguisher at the paint shop the day I picked it up. I just went to Wal-Mart and bought another one. Later on, I went back to the paint shop and picked up the old one. This one was sitting in my garage near the cars and I used it to put the fire out. If I hadn't had this fire extinguisher we would have lost our house or it would have been damaged a heck of a lot more.

In all the chaos my wife had called the fire department and by the time they got there I had the fire out and already had fans set up sucking out the smoke and fire extinguisher stuff. All in all, we were very lucky. The entire bedroom and contents are a total loss. The rest of the house was smoke damaged. The fire department determined the cause as the lamp cord. So far the insurance seems to be ok.

Service Master has been here everyday since Monday and will be come again tomorrow. They completely stripped the bedroom and then did a complete overhaul of the house. We have all our spring cleaning done now and soon will have a completely remodeled bedroom. All of our clothes are still gone and we still have no linens or curtains. We have only had to stay in a motel one night and that was when they put this big machine in here that was called an ionizer or ozonator or something like that. We will also get the entire living room, kitchen and dining room repainted.

Long story short, go to the store and buy a First Alert 3 A 10 B C fire extinguisher and have it close by! That will be the best 30 bucks you ever spent. Oh, the insurance company told me they are going to buy me 2 to replace the one I used!!

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
WOW :eek: what a story! I am so glad to hear that everyone is OK and the damage wasn't too bad...I agree with the extingushers. I have one under the kitchen sink , in the garage, and in the camaro's trunk. Don't forget to have them serviced and tagged every year used or not. And don't forget the one in the boat too... You never know.....:)

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
WOW.....:eek: ...yes, having the extinguisher on hand was a big plus, but YOU having the presence of mind and calmness to think of and use it, is what really saved your house !!!:thumbsup: I know FAR to many people that completely panick at the sight of fire and just run away. You're insurance co. knows you saved them a complete rebuild. That's why they are getting 2 replacement extinguishers for you...:yes:

Glad it wasn't worse and take the credit you deserve for being the hero....:hurray:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I got smoke and fire alarms in Most rooms of the House except the Kitchen because cooking may set one off. I got two extinguishers in the Garage and two in the house. Fire worries Me more then even the Hurricanes and Tornadoes We have in Florida as I have seen two houses burn down to the ground near where I live. I have Allstate Insurance and They have be been cancelling policies all over around here and I expect to be next. Well glad Your house didn't burn down and No one got hurt

·
15,370 Posts
I'm glad you and your family are OK! Quick thinking! :eek:

I'm like Edd... fires scare me. The wife loves burning candles and my son has a small lava lamp in his bedroom. The base of it gets so hot and the warning label on the lamp is specific about the danger. I can't stand the thing. Fires happen so quickly that there's hardly time to respond.
You never can have TOO much safety around the house.

I've always had an extinguisher in the kitchen and on the garage wall, with detectors on each floor to warn us, and I test them religiously. One more thing about having fire extinguishers in the home.... CHECK THEM! Once a year or so, check the gauge and make sure they're still within specs. Mounting a fire extinguisher in the home and just leaving it for years could (excuse the pun) backfire on you when you really need it. They're so inexpensive that it doesn't make sense NOT to replace them every few years.

I'm glad you only lost your jammies and not something a lot more valuable like a family member. Kudos for the quick thinking!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Being a firefighter myself, I can applause your courage. Uncountable times I have seen people run from fires leaving doors open which only feeds the fire. Fire needs O2 to stay "healthy". If anyone ever encounters a fire, shut the door if possible. Also, it is not the flames that kill you...it is the superheated gases ( smoke ) that burns your lungs. Glad everyone is safe. If you need some clothes in the meantime, shot me an e-mail and I'll send you some extra clothes laying around here.

Dave

·
19,993 Posts
First , glad everyones alright.

Second, I was a volunteer fireman for 6 years and seen some bad things. I have 2 fire extinguishers (one on first floor and one in bedroom upstairs) for the "just in case" and I would recommend everyone have at least 2 for the above reason (what if it was in garage and you were sleeping ?) and also install and keep up with smoke alarms. It's one way you don't want to die.

·
Registered
426 Posts
WOWEE! What a deal! The damn lamp cord catchin fire...thats unusual. At least it didnt happen while noone was home or you were outside or something. Good to hear everyones OK and your losses were minimal :thumbsup:

P.S. Harvick won the race ;)

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
We have one in basement in laundry room where elec. panel is and furnace, another one in kitchen cabinet in easy reach and another in garage.... just in case. My brother in law is fire dept. engineer in Denver, he was happy when he visited and saw them in place :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update.
Thanks for all the kind words! You guys are great! :beers:
As for our stuff, we are doing ok. We didn't let the cleaning crew take all of our clothes. We washed some ourselves so we would at least have something to wear.

The room is completely stripped now and the contractors start coming in on Monday. We have a painter already lined out and the carpet people have a date set. Right now we are just going to buy a new mattress and box spring and maybe wait a bit on the new furniture. My wife wants to shop around a bit and try to find something she really likes.
:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got a couple of Halon extinguishers around, plus numerous small ABC's, and a couple of small CO2's, too. I learned firefighting in the Navy, and served as both in port fire team leader, and underway flying squad hotsuitman. Glad you hear you were able to save your house, great job. Hope it never happens to me, but I try to keep vigilant. Don't ignore flickering lights, popping light switches, frayed cords, etc. They are all potential sources of ignition, and need to be changed when a problem is noted. Saving them for a weekend project could be too late, you never know.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Great story. Quick thinking! I also have a extinguisher under the sink and one in the porch by the inside charcoal grill. And one more thing... I have a NFPA-13R fire sprinkler system in my house. A sprinkler head in each room in the house. What a nice piece of mind!!! Glad to hear that everyone is OKAY!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow!

Lucky indeed, I have one on each level of our home. How does that saying go? "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!"

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I have a bottle in the 68.You never know when you will be upside down and dependent on passer byes.All levels of the home have the same with a window ladder for the top storey.Carbon Monoxide sensors also,seeing how we heat with NG.Play it safe folks,this life is not a dress rehearsel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts