Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just left another forum that had this guy bashing walmarts oil changing shop pretty good. He stated that he (and many others) had their engines destroyed there because the techs either forgot to tighten the oil plug and all the oil drained out, or they used the wrong type of tool to remove the oil filter and installed the new filter with the same wrong tool... and this is what cause their engines to completly "blow up" within days after they left :rolleyes:

Sounds like another challenge for Mythbusters to me.. What do you all think about this?

Personally I think its a load of BS myself :sad:

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
I am a Auto Theft and Fraud Investigator and we get a lot of this type of claims to investigate with the company I work for. There are loose and stripped oil pan plugs now and then. As far as filters, most problems are no gasket, two gaskets (old one stuck to housing ) or wrong filter also is found. Whatever "wrong" tool they used to take the old filter off does not require its use putting the filter back on. Filters are put on by hand. What I said above is automotive shops in general and does not reflect any one named company like the one you named in your post.

Kev

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have any of these descrepancies ever caused an engine to completely "blow up" like the guy in the other forum stated?

I can see an engine stop running. I can even see one sieze up (although I would think it would take more than a couple of miles of driving with practically every warning light on the console lit up before this would happen), but has any engine you ever investigated show evidence of an actual explosion?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I work in a dealer service center and we get probably a vehicle a month from area quiklubes where the motors are siezed. For us the most common thing we see is where they forgot to put ANY oil back in at all.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I can't imagine taking a car in for an oil change and not noticing either the idiot light on or no pressure on the gage when I drove away.I'm not saying a tech couldn't forget to put oil in,maybe he gets called away in the middle of the change,etc.What I'm saying is I would think the owner would notice it right away.Or the tech,for that matter,when he pulled the car outside.I don't get it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There are a number of people that don't notice the obvious. Things on their minds, kids arguing, etc. etc. etc. Some persons don't have enough sense to come in out of the rain, much less check a gauge or idiot light. The description of completely blowing up a motor is subjective. What's completely? spun bearings for one person, seized motor for another, thrown rod for someone else.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
My Grandmother had her oil changed at a local service station years ago they left the old gasket on.It blew out on her way home from town she pulled over when the oil light came.Called them and they sent the tow truck to get the car.It had spun a rod bearing.The station payed to have her engine rebuilt no lawers or anything.We still do business with them because they fixed the problem they caused.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
but has any engine you ever investigated show evidence of an actual explosion?
No, sieze, throw a rod, etc...all to do with no oil. We have seen where gas has been flooding into the engine and mixing with the oil resulting in cylinder wash down causing premature wear on rings and bearings. FYI an engine can "BlowUp" as a result of the gas going into the oil. I have heard of cases where the oil dip stick shot through the hood of a car after such an explosion however have not seen one.

Kev

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
I can't imagine taking a car in for an oil change and not noticing either the idiot light on or no pressure on the gage when I drove away.I'm not saying a tech couldn't forget to put oil in,maybe he gets called away in the middle of the change,etc.What I'm saying is I would think the owner would notice it right away.Or the tech,for that matter,when he pulled the car outside.I don't get it.
Yes Peter...
Clacking of the engine...weird smells and so on are a tell tale sign something is wrong :)

Kev

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
A friend of mine used to work at a quick-lube type place. He was responsible for two seized engines (both because of two filter gaskets I believe).

At the shop I worked at a few years ago, I did oil changes on a fairly regular basis. Every time I finished, I would start it up to ensure it had O/P, then I would check the level again. I never had one seize up on me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I actually had this happen to an old 83 chevy truck I had. The oil change guys were busy and running around yelling all the stuff they say,you know..."plug out check bay 2" yada yada yada.When the guy told me to start it ,something told me that I didnt remember seeing them put oil in it.Anyway I started it,and it had a guage and I knew the truck well ,so after 3 or 4 seconds and no oil pressure I shut it off and the guy was standing at the window and I told him it didnt have pressure...they check and no oil. Before I would pay them,I made the manager write on the invoice that the engine had been dry started and that they assumed the liability if it "blew up".He didnt balk at this at all and it never had any problems and ran fine when I sold it...but it was a good lesson to watch close at those places!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Bottom line, to me when there is a problem is it’s either the employee is inexperienced, use of incorrect tools, and lastly NOT PAYING ATTENTION!
I personally have witnessed it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had an 87 IROC when i first got married about 14 yrs ago. My wife thougt she would help me out buy getting the oil changed at Jiffy Lube. when I got home from work I saw a line of oil on my street that went right to my driveway then back out down the street. I followed the line to the supermarket about a mile and half down the road right to the spot where the car was parked. I checked the oil, it was dry. I put 5 qrts in it started it up and spun a main bearing. When they took the oil filter of somehow they stripped the bolts that held the factory oil cooler to the block. Thats where the oil leaked out from. I called Jiffy Lube they denied it was there fault. Long story short I pulled the motor and I was not to happy. All over over A $20 oil change.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I know someone who is currently taking legal action against these guys for putting green antifreeze in the oil pan. End result was a siezed motor and a stream of lies. BTW: The engine uses dexcool, not green antifreeze.

I started changing my own oil again after 2 or 3 stripped pan plugs, oil caps left off, underfill, and other ameturish mistakes (at various places).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts