Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been captivated by this topic since I bought my 68 10 years ago. It was a 6 cyl w/ manual steering and took a football field to turn around in and football player to muscle the steering wheel so I converted to P/S right away. I found a box off a 3rd gen Camaro and bought a short pitman arm (5 3/8) and used the existing long(est) steering arms that were on the car. Then years later I found the short(est) steering arms. Now I finally bit the bullet and ordered the long pitman arm (5 7/8). The 3rd gen box was less than 2 full turns lock to lock before this pitman arm. I'm expecting a go-kart now. What do y'all think?

BTW I've been shopping that long pitman arm for years now. It was less than $60 several years ago at Advance Auto but now its $86! But I just found it on Amazon for 59.85 and free shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Interesting. What is the number of the steering box you used and what is the number of the long pitman arm?

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell the number of the steering box. The car is in the restoration shop. I removed it from a stripped down camaro in a guys back yard. I think he said it was a 1977. The pitman arm is Moog K6582.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I removed it from a stripped down camaro in a guys back yard. I think he said it was a 1977.
A 1977 is a second generation car.

67-69 1st generation
70-81 2nd generation
82-92 3rd generation
93-2002 4th generation
2010- ? 5th generation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts