Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys now that the car is painted all I need to do is wire the darn thing and Im cruisin! I have a painless 18 circut muscle car harness for 69-74 cars. I have test fitted the main bulk head and it fit with no problems other then drilling the bolt holes larger. This is the run down of the eletrical suff in my car.

one wire alternator
eletric fan
headlights/turn signals
horn
all eletric autometers
basic interior lighting (dome light, cigarette lighter)

Other then that I have no other eletric stuff. I removed the a/c and dont plan on cutting my DSE dash for an audio system.

My main concern is how do I go about starting the wiring? do I bolt it to the firewall and work from there? or do I throw it all on the ground and then install it from there? I also left the original rear body harness in the car because it was the only harness left intac. The door light switches are still in place and so is the dome light and rear light harness. Should I just leave that and wire all that to the painless harness? The wiring is the only thing stopping me from enjoying my car shortly. Im in the middle of a two week re-assimbly :eek:

Justin

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add my msd ingition 6AL box. I have a smooth fire wall now so I was thinking of mounting that in the glove box area with velcro and running the wires for it through the speedo cable gromit. I have a few spare gromits, would it be wise to hog that out to run the wires for my eletric sending units? I dont see any other holes to run the wiring, they were all welded shut!

·
15,370 Posts
Justin,
It's up to you basically. Does the Painless harness include the rear lights, dome and interior harnesses? If you have easy access to them all, why not replace them. Now's the time really, even if the originals are in good shape. Just don't throw anything away. Save EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm with Joe. If you have the replacements, which you should, go ahead and get rid of that 35+ year old wiring now. Well worth the time and doing the rear of the car is a piece of cake compared to the rest of the job.

I'd mount the fuse block and go from there. Route the wires being watchful for contact with sharp edges that over time can cause a short.

Go buy a case of zip ties and just take your time.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doesnt really look that hard when most of if is poping the old connections out and pluging the new ones in. Its the whole ignition, front light, and gauge thing that has me confused.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Start by laying both harnesses on the floor. Label the connections on your old harness as you remove them. Then you can zip-tie the wires in groups resembling the original harness. Be sure to re-route the regulator wires if you have an internally regulated alternator. Other than that, most of the wiring should be a 1 for 1 replacement. Once you get familiar with the layout, install the harness in the vehicle in place of the original.

Use an ohm meter to verify your connections before plugging them into the under-hood components. This will save you some trouble by avoiding grounded connections and other things that will ruin your day.

Take notes, write down the color code relationships for the old and new wires. There are a few connections which may require you to reuse the original factory connections. Get a copy of the schematic to refer to as you go.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also forgot to add that I am using a detroit speed metal dash. I got rid of the idiot lights, the only thing other then the stock wiper and head liht switch are 2 LEDs that I have for the turn signals. I hope to have it started soon. I will take pics.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
You'll probably have some custom wiring to do. What I have done is draw minor schematics for all the major sub-systems. I can make some photo copies if you would find them helpful. They aren't production quality, but should be accurate for a 1968 coupe with idiot lights.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would be intrested in the schematics greatly. Still haven't got mine done yet. I am the guy with the column problems still.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts